Author Topic: DatD Treasure Chest  (Read 2102 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
DatD Treasure Chest
« on: March 20, 2023, 07:49:27 PM »
There were a lot of good deals around if you stopped at all the shops and looked.  I picked up some $1 sabikis, heavy irons, slow pitch jigs, poppers etc and was pretty happy for what I found.  I then see Skrilla in a shop with a bag in his hand full of megabaits for like $30.  A hell of a deal!  There were boxes all marked and filled with random stuff at great prices.

I saw a 4-pack of propeller wahoo bombs for $25!  They don't make these anymore and looked perfect for trolling in sporty conditions.  I have a few ideas about these, but I found them online from $35 to $50 each and they looked and worked like new!

If you just use the lowest price which I noticed was the price from 5 years ago, that would be $140 for $25.

Then Len talked about the Lead Tupperware...  I was curious so went and checked it out.  Len probably would have bought it if it didn't weigh 50 pounds and still had to walk around to the other shops.
I was done for the day, so bought it and was hoping it was a treasure chest and not a dud full of used rusty gear.  Lugging it up 5 or 6 blocks up the hill to get to my truck was a chore and a half.  My back was killing me, so I hoped it was worth it.

A peek inside and I was getting pretty happy with what I was seeing.

Lot's of new terminal tackle with a few hooks missing from the pack and other packs that had 6x the amount that the package said!  SS hooks... Huge swivels..  assist hooks.... Lead heads...  swimbait hooks.... Wahoo bombs...  and LOTS and LOTS of LEAD!  WOW!

I had to weigh it as it was everything from 1oz to 3 pounds!

34# of lead!  I don't know what this would cost if I just bought it new, but it's safe to say that I got WELL OVER what I paid for it.

I made out pretty good.

I started to put stuff away and took a picture of some of the other stuff mixed in.  The most expensive thing I bought otherwise was a 500 gram knife slow pitch jig and various sizes of colt snipers to mimic the baits I saw last year offshore.

I thoroughly enjoyed DatD being back.  Not having the family with me also gave me more opportunity to hit every shop and talk to a bunch of people along the way.

Thanks again Len for the heads up on that monster Tupperware!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: DatD Treasure Chest
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023, 08:25:25 PM »
Well, lead is expensive these days so I think you scored with that find 8) You are set for a while :)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2023, 08:44:09 PM »
34#s. Nice come up!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2023, 06:20:20 AM »
One of the weird things I saw was all the 6-1/2 oz weights.  I don't ever remember seeing weights that big with the 1/2oz added to them.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2023, 09:16:36 AM »
I think a hand truck is in order for next year.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2023, 10:05:18 AM »
Deal of the year for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)