Author Topic: Water test  (Read 1540 times)

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
Water test
« on: March 11, 2023, 11:35:32 PM »
My little 9.8 tohatsu started acting up.  Had to do some maintenance and tear apart the Carb but wasn’t able to do a sea trial for several weeks due to scheduling and weather.

Finally made it out today.
Launched out of oside around 10:45am. Found birds working anchovies in 50ft of water. Trolled deep divers and dropped the iron on some possible marks for nothing.
Headed south.
Just before Carlsbad i Found more anchovies being worked by dolphin and birds. Mack’s underneath. Saw a floating squid. Trolled around and dropped on a few smaller marks for nothing.

Went south
Got to Anderson pipe. Lots of life. Good bass marks, anchovies up top, hooked a couple Mack’s on the iron.
Pushed south.
Got to Cardiff. Two big threshers working bait in front of chart-house. Big long tails and solid slapping sounds. Can’t fish the MLPA and they didn’t pose for photo.

Due south.
Torrey pines: lots of small Mack’s in All depths. Few birds. Dolphins and seals past 150ft.
Blacks: dolphins and bait in 20-40ft. Seals and birds working bait past 100ft

La Jolla: dirty water. Spotty bait. Birds taking double takes at bait in 130+ . Nothing really going on.

Went back north and found good marks off Torrey in 115ft under some Mack’s. No bites on the iron.

Pushed further north and right around sunset found lots of baits being pushed up into birds at Anderson pipe. Marks looked like bass. More sea lions and seals around this time.

Back in the harbor before pitch black.
Keep it tight

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: Water test
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2023, 04:45:33 AM »
Sounds like the engine ran fine, glad it worked out
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2023, 07:14:19 AM »
Tuned up and saw the Coast, sounds like you fixed it  8)

Dark_Knight_9C1

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2023, 08:45:32 AM »
I'm impressed by the distance you covered and legth of time on the water. Assuming you started at Oceanside harbor and you turned around at La Jolla, you covered at least 60 miles. Starting at 10:30 and getting back in the dark, you were on the water at least 8 hours. (Sorry for pointing out the obvious.)
Great to hear there is lots of fish still out there.

-Keith

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2023, 11:33:59 AM »
I’d guess 55-60 miles with the zig zags. I burned about 3.5 gallons of gas so it adds up. Cruising straight down to La Jolla usually takes an hour and half. I got there around 2:50 and left at 4:15. Landed in oside at 6:30.

Lots of bait fish just very little signs of game fish

It’s actually more efficient for me to launch from oside when fishing Del Mar to La Jolla. It takes me 10 minutes to get to the ramp and i can get to Del Mar in about an hour. Start fishing and work to La Jolla and back then be back up in oside in another hour burning under 6 gallons of gas and never dealing with traffic.

If I launch down there it takes 4-5 gallons of diesel in the truck for the day, 45-60 minutes to get to the launch. More time to unload and find parking then 9 out of 10 times driving north I’ve been stuck in traffic for close to 2 hours.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 11:38:02 AM by Chris »
Keep it tight

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2023, 12:31:46 PM »
Happy for you that the outboard is back on track.

Lots of bait up this way as well, haven’t seen threshers yet though, good to hear you did, albeit smart ones that hang out in just the right places. Maybe time to run the coast.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2023, 06:58:40 AM »
burning under 6 gallons of gas and never dealing with traffic.

That right there is good enough for me, as long as the sea conditions allow you to get down there safely.

I saw the pictures on FB or IG.  Crazy there is so much bait and so little in the way of gamefish with them.  My last few trips were full of bait and no gamefish also.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2023, 11:15:34 AM »

That right there is good enough for me, as long as the sea conditions allow you to get down there safely.

I saw the pictures on FB or IG.  Crazy there is so much bait and so little in the way of gamefish with them.  My last few trips were full of bait and no gamefish also.

I’ve definitely turned around before. Wasn’t too long ago I had the same trip in mind and it was smooth seas out of the harbor then I got to leucadia and it was a close 2ft swell with chop and then the fog rolled in so I had to cruise back at around 10mph getting beat up with 100ft of vis. Really thankful for the charts on my Garmin.

Hopefully the water clears up after this next rain and we see some more activity. I need to get out after sunset and put some time in on the seabass. 
Keep it tight

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2023, 12:31:55 PM »

I’ve definitely turned around before. Wasn’t too long ago I had the same trip in mind and it was smooth seas out of the harbor then I got to leucadia and it was a close 2ft swell with chop and then the fog rolled in so I had to cruise back at around 10mph getting beat up with 100ft of vis. Really thankful for the charts on my Garmin.

Hopefully the water clears up after this next rain and we see some more activity. I need to get out after sunset and put some time in on the seabass.

Haven't seen or heard about them, but they have to be around.  That's a great one to target in your boat and looking forward to seeing you get a monster!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.