Author Topic: Reflection and Projection  (Read 5350 times)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: Reflection and Projection
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2023, 06:03:46 AM »
Rooting for you Tom
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

mdcesq

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2023, 10:51:50 AM »
Props to you Tom. Keep on rollin'.

Coincidentally, I came to the same realization last year and cut back significantly. Two observations: (1) I was the guy at the bar/restaurant who got really loud and annoying, and I'm simply too old to keep doing that sh!t and looking like a fool; and (2) I have my mornings back.

Also, two tools: (1) I hate the phones but there's an app called Drink Control that probably saved my life and really puts into perspective how much I was drinking; and (2) Athletic Brewery (right there in SD) has some of the best NAs you can drink. I love the taste of hops but nearbeers never had enough or tasted right to me. Now they can brew with engineered yeast that doesn't produce alcohol, so it's really the same as the real thing taste-wise. No more boiling the beer or other techniques like O'Douls and some of the others had to use which basically ruined the taste. They have IPAs, hazies, stouts, just about everything and I can't tell the difference between them and those infused with alcohol.

I still drink most Friday and Saturday nights, but instead of four 7-9% IPAs I'll have one or two 5% pales ales or 4.3% Guinness. If I have something going on Saturday or Sunday morning, I can take the night off no sweat and could probably go cold turkey any time if I wanted. I just don't need it anymore.

Anyway, I encourage your journey and I hope I can keep my head on straight enough to stay the course on mine. So far, so good.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2023, 07:04:26 AM »

Coincidentally, I came to the same realization last year and cut back significantly. Two observations: (1) I was the guy at the bar/restaurant who got really loud and annoying, and I'm simply too old to keep doing that sh!t and looking like a fool; and (2) I have my mornings back.

Tomorrow will be 3 weeks and I still have an urge to drink, but quelling it with a zero beer helps a little.  I don't really want to give it up entirely as I love a glass of wine with a good dinner, but I just have to limit it to a glass and not a bottle, or two.  Just mentally knowing I can stop if needed is a HUGE step for me and your two observations are spot on! lol
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

mdcesq

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2023, 06:15:48 AM »

Tomorrow will be 3 weeks and I still have an urge to drink, but quelling it with a zero beer helps a little.  I don't really want to give it up entirely as I love a glass of wine with a good dinner, but I just have to limit it to a glass and not a bottle, or two.  Just mentally knowing I can stop if needed is a HUGE step for me and your two observations are spot on! lol

Good work, Tom. Three weeks is a great accomplishment. The longest I made it since high school was eight months and that was after I had knee surgery, was taking all these meds, and had PT at 7am four days a week. Best I ever felt.

Yeah, outright abstinence is tough. It took me most of my life to realize that the moderation folks were right all along. Another trick I play with myself at restaurants is I order a 12 oz. can instead of a 16 oz. draft pint. The 4 oz. difference seems insignificant, but it's noticeable (and usually cheaper), especially for drinkers like me who enjoy the higher ABVs.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2023, 06:33:00 AM »
4 weeks completed...  Wow, I never would have guessed I would have made it this far, but super glad I did.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2023, 07:09:51 AM »
4 weeks completed...  Wow, I never would have guessed I would have made it this far, but super glad I did.

Oh Hell Yeah!!!!!

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2023, 08:09:01 AM »
 It's a great feeling of accomplishment, CONGRATS !!! 8) 8)

mdcesq

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2023, 02:05:51 PM »

Excellent, Tom! Congrats!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2023, 06:19:18 AM »

Excellent, Tom! Congrats!

40 days dry and I had a glass of wine with dinner.  I think I finally got this... at least mentally I feel like I broke a cycle.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2023, 06:04:48 PM »
Good seeing you today Thomas, always a pleasure   8)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2023, 06:40:59 AM »
Good seeing you today Thomas, always a pleasure   8)

Great seeing you and the Mrs. yesterday!  Thanks again for your generosity as always.  8)  8) 8)

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2023, 09:02:01 AM »

That's awesome Tom!  Stoked for you!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2023, 07:16:38 AM »
I had a few glasses (not bottles) of wine last weekend and a few 2.8% "Ultra-Light" Michelob beers this weekend.  7 weeks in and finally have control!

It was weird seeing and being around some inebriated family this weekend.  It made them almost mad at me that I wasn't drinking.  LOL

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2023, 08:55:57 AM »
It's a whole different experience ;)

mdcesq

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2023, 06:08:54 AM »
I had a few glasses (not bottles) of wine last weekend and a few 2.8% "Ultra-Light" Michelob beers this weekend.  7 weeks in and finally have control!

It was weird seeing and being around some inebriated family this weekend.  It made them almost mad at me that I wasn't drinking.  LOL

Well done, Tom. Control is key, I think.

I had a family member over the holidays give me a hard time for cutting back. WTF? And I thought he'd be happy.

This has been a motivational post for me, Tom. According to DrinkControl I'm down 43% in the last 30 days! Some things just take a little teamwork.