Author Topic: Bart Hall Show  (Read 4434 times)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
Bart Hall Show
« on: February 15, 2023, 05:14:58 PM »
Anyone going tomorrow? I'll be there.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Bart Hall Show
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2023, 06:19:38 AM »
I'm pondering it, but probably won't get there until this weekend.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2023, 11:58:14 AM »
They shouldn’t have scheduled it to when my relatives are in town and the weather is actually good! Unless my aunt wants to go Saturday (not impossible) I won’t be going this year.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2023, 04:04:09 PM »
Got there a few minutes before they opened up. Love it when I avoid the crowds!

Island Tackle had some great prices on jig blanks. I picked up a Calstar 100J and a Rainshadow RCJB90XH-CG. The Calstar is a jigstick I don't own yet and the Rainshadow will be my dedicated yoyo rod. Got both for just over $200. Smoking deal!! Also picked 4 of the Duran's super clamps ($30 each) from the Duran's booth. From Turner's,  I got a Daiwa swimbait rod for $99. It was $120 off. Also picked up a Penn FTH30 2spd reel for $210 and it comes with a coupon for a free spool up of 300yds of Jbraid. I'll use that for my Daiwa Luna 253.

Nowhere near as many tackle booths as there used to be. I remember this large booth where you could a bunch used reels, rods, and terminal tackle. Then again, that was in the 90s. The boats were beautiful, but not in my future. Turner's have great deals. Island Tackle was the best for blanks and rod building components. Visited SD Tackle Traders looking for a Harnell. I already have a 542, but have been on the hunt for a 724. Found one, but not willing to spend $900 for it. It'll only get more expensive  though...

Not the same show I'm used to, but there were great deals and brauts to eat while walking around.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2023, 04:53:32 PM »
I'm doing the Pacific Coast Sportfishing Show in March up in OC, hope to find cool stuff, sounds like you scored !! 8)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2023, 05:04:12 PM »
I would have loved to go today, but my daughter wants to go this weekend, so hopefully there's still good deals to be had.  I need to get a good BFT jigstick reel for my new Rainshadow getting wrapped by the Skrilla!  Hell, I got a Rainshadow bent butt, BFT jigstick and true 40# live bait stick all on the way!  I can't wait to upgrade some of the gear that I've been using.  Problem now is realize that I probably need to start letting some stuff go, but I can't seem to do it.

Nice score boss!  Spending $900 for a 724 seems downright crazy to me....  ;D

Maybe I need to get bigger boat while I'm there?  lol

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2023, 09:57:18 PM »
Great deal on the duran clamps, I could use one or more of those. Just as I remember, not quite what you ever expect but always something great.

That pacific sportfishing show is sounding impossible to pass up. See how things pan out as the dates get closer…

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2023, 10:54:30 AM »
I went Thursday. Some vendors were still getting set up.
Got a good deal on a blue/red SJ90F blank at SD tackle traders ($170 and it fit the bill for what I was looking for) and some rod components for slightly less than normal.
The smaller vendors were neat to see. Local rod builders, cali made lures, joes.
There was more fishing boats than the Pomona Hall boat show. Scout and Robalo turned out with some good looking boats.

Saw a few guys from BD and shoot the sh!t. Apparently I just missed Mike and he was fondling my rod before I bought it.
I spent about 2 hours there and saw everything with a moderate crowd. From following the post on BD more vendors set up and we’re staffed after I left. Saturday and Sunday will be packed for sure and there’s more events and guests lined up.

Long Beach show is supposed to have more vendors from what i hear and the PCS will be even bigger. I’ll be at a couple booths at PCS.

I was really taken back by some of the prices on blanks at SD tackle traders. I picked up a Super seeker baby ulua and thought “this is nice” and put it back when I saw the $750 price tag. I’m really looking forward to seeing what Batson and composite forge produce these coming years for jig sticks and long rods.
Keep it tight

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2023, 04:03:27 PM »
I'll be there tomorrow with my wife and daughter.  I'm actually stoked because Len is getting my 3 freshly wrapped Batson rods and one needs a reel!  I'll post up pics later after I pick them up.  I'm pretty excited about these 3.  True 40# Live Bait, BFT Jig Stick, and BFT Bent Butt troller.  This is going to be exciting to see!

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2023, 07:47:38 PM »
Got a good deal on a blue/red SJ90F blank at SD tackle traders ($170 and it fit the bill for what I was looking for) and some rod components for slightly less than normal.
The smaller vendors were neat to see. Local rod builders, cali made lures, joes.
There was more fishing boats than the Pomona Hall boat show. Scout and Robalo turned out with some good looking boats.

Saw a few guys from BD and shoot the sh!t. Apparently I just missed Mike and he was fondling my rod before I bought it.
I spent about 2 hours there and saw everything with a moderate crowd. From following the post on BD more vendors set up and we’re staffed after I left. Saturday and Sunday will be packed for sure and there’s more events and guests lined up.

Long Beach show is supposed to have more vendors from what i hear and the PCS will be even bigger. I’ll be at a couple booths at PCS.

I was really taken back by some of the prices on blanks at SD tackle traders. I picked up a Super seeker baby ulua and thought “this is nice” and put it back when I saw the $750 price tag. I’m really looking forward to seeing what Batson and composite forge produce these coming years for jig sticks and long rods.

Skinny butt Uluas are moderately rare, hence the steeper price tag. Was looking at a Harnell 542 blank and they wanted $750. I have a factory wrapped one, I'm guessing it'll fetch a bit more. I'll just have to wait awhile for a 724. Btw, they're some Conolons for sale on Offerup for only $50. Absolutely worth picking some up. Super parabolic and all glass. It's the perfect 30lb jigstick!!! I have 6 and they're my favorite for throwing a Tady A1 for calicos and barracuda. 
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2023, 02:06:45 PM »

Skinny butt Uluas are moderately rare, hence the steeper price tag. Was looking at a Harnell 542 blank and they wanted $750. I have a factory wrapped one, I'm guessing it'll fetch a bit more. I'll just have to wait awhile for a 724. Btw, they're some Conolons for sale on Offerup for only $50. Absolutely worth picking some up. Super parabolic and all glass. It's the perfect 30lb jigstick!!! I have 6 and they're my favorite for throwing a Tady A1 for calicos and barracuda.

Why do you have 6 though???

I’ve really fallen in love with my UC Mega 800ce for 30#. The 9 or 10’er would probably be super fun for iron but it’s a do-all setup so 8’ works great.

My parents laughed at me last week when I told them I got my rod count back down below 30. I said alright fine go talk to Mike and then come back and talk.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2023, 05:31:32 PM »
Not sure why I have so many, lol! Can't have too many jigsticks! I have blanks I'll probably never wrap, but I can't stop. I'm sure Tom has way more gear than me. I buy and sell often. Upgrading as I go. I've gotten rid of all my old gear.  I used to have a crate of Penn 500s and another of Penn 501s. Accumulated over my years while working at H&M Landing.

Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2023, 07:42:25 AM »
I buy and sell often. Upgrading as I go. I've gotten rid of all my old gear.
I don't think I've sold a single thing in the last 15-20 years....

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2023, 08:05:18 AM »
Saw a few old and new friends at the show like Steve Yatomi and Capt Bill Wilkerson...  Very stoked to catch up with them.

The show had WAY too many pontoon boats for my liking, but the one boat I went to look at already had a sold sign....  WTF would have this cost???  They wouldn't let anyone onboard and lucky for my wife and daughter or we would have sold the house and still had to take out a million dollar loan.  LOL.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2023, 04:54:48 PM »
You can slay the calicos on that!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)