Author Topic: Few Mornings in Puerto Vallarta  (Read 3639 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Few Mornings in Puerto Vallarta
« on: January 14, 2023, 01:09:42 PM »
Spent 6 days in Puerto Vallarta, 1/4 to 1/10. Nice way to get out of the itty bitty rainy season in SoCal. High 70s all week, pleasant tropical humidity, never any rain. Now I'm back in a rainy Starbucks parking lot, sitting in my car typing up this report.

Didn't get out to fish until the 2nd morning. Got to see the moon set over the bay.

Started with iron but nada on that. Switched over to Fish Bites on a c-rig and got my skunk off with a Raucous Grunt. Also known as a Burro (sp?) locally. New species!

Interesting thing, when I would see bait or boils, the baitfish would dance 5-20ft across the surface, skittering right along. Landing any lure on top of these boils wouldn't result in any action though.

On the c-rig I would get some small but assertive perch pecks every 5 casts or so. Started with a #2 offset circle and at one point dropped to a #14 J but that didn't get anything.

2nd morning I got another, smaller Raucous Grunt. No pic. Same thing as the day before. Every 5 casts or so I'd get bit and nothing would come of it.

3rd morning the same song and dance, but a new species. I asked Ben already what he thought it might be, and he sent it on to the guy who runs Mexfish, and nobody is sure. Either a Golden or a Slender Croaker. It didn't have any pattern whatsoever, just uniform silver, so it doesn't line up with any of the croaker IDs because of it. Reminds me a lot of a Sand Whiting from the Gulf to be honest, but haven't found any info to suggest a presence of them in the area. Regardless....new species.

Talked to a fellow fisherman on the latter 2 mornings. He apparently likes to eat the grunts, and he caught a little bigger one than me. He told me on the last morning at the end of my session that he'd caught 5 different species down where he was on shrimp and squid, including what he thought was a baby yellowfin tuna. He tells me an hour before I check out!

Well, PV wasn't what fishing lore made it out to be, but it was nice to get away. Always happy to get home and sleep in my own bed.

OH, and Koga! I didn't know you visited PV recently! Send me your address, I found your binkie!

« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 01:56:08 PM by jrodda »

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Few Mornings in Puerto Vallarta
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2023, 06:46:31 PM »
 Nice little getaway 8) That Binkie looks like it was used for another orifice of some sort ;D

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2023, 05:16:05 AM »
Well, PV wasn't what fishing lore made it out to be, but it was nice to get away.

It's all about attitude my man, glad you had a good time.  Thanks for  sharing
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2023, 03:21:52 PM »
OH, and Koga! I didn't know you visited PV recently! Send me your address, I found your binkie!

Nice work for what it was worth.  I can feel the frustration when you head to paradise and find the fishing is not what it seems.

On another note, this right here is pretty funny!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2023, 03:26:47 PM »
Well, PV wasn't what fishing lore made it out to be, but it was nice to get away.

It's all about attitude my man, glad you had a good time.  Thanks for  sharing

Yep, having a good attitude is key, but bad fishing always seems to kind of weigh down the good vibes at times.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2023, 07:45:50 AM »
Glad you had a nice vacation Jeremy and a couple new species to boot!
That last one looks exactly like the white croaker my kids would catch a ton of in Ventura harbor.

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2023, 08:24:54 AM »
Tom, he found your ball sack you lost.
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2023, 11:15:59 AM »
Glad you had a nice vacation Jeremy and a couple new species to boot!
That last one looks exactly like the white croaker my kids would catch a ton of in Ventura harbor.

That was my first thought, but apparently they don’t get down past Mag Bay. And on closer inspection I think this particular fish has a more angular nose.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2023, 01:11:24 PM »
Ah ok!
It's crazy to me what slight difference can mean a different species!
If it were to up to me, they'd all be called "fish".  :P

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2023, 07:35:43 AM »
Looks like you needed to find some structure to fish. I would've pinned on one of those grunts and tossed it out for jacks and snappers. Still, I'd rather spend a week catching those than being home.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)