Author Topic: All you can eat salad with a side of soup  (Read 3482 times)

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
All you can eat salad with a side of soup
« on: January 07, 2023, 10:32:19 PM »
Met up with Tom around 4:30 to scope out a spot with a little daylight left. Looked choked full of weed but had some promising water. My son and girlfriend also joined us for the adventure.
Must have drug in enough grass to feed all cows up in Chino but we did get some bites!
Tom hooked up first and said it felt like a Black seabass. Just by watching the rod I could tell it was dragging him across and into rocks and giving him a decent fight. He confirmed with verbal narration during the event. Eventually he broke off a few feet up from the leader and decided the line must have rubbed a sharp rock or got pinched.

Maybe an hour later I was up next with a few small taps, slack, reel down and fish on! Decent fish pulling drag and then I could feel the line rubbing rocks and the fish head shaking or twisting. Eventually it changed direction and came up out of the rocks and I was able the get it close enough for Tom to leader.
We really showed how long it’s been since we wrangled a shark and probably looked like total googans trying to grab the tail and get a rope on it.
Eventually she was secured, got pics and sent her on her way. She was pretty big. 70”+. Tom guessed 74, I was trying to catch my breath.

Few more balls of grass, my son got soaked by a wave and we called it a night.

It was good seeing you Tom! We need to make this a more regular event.

It’s the same fish but looks like two different ones.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 12:06:48 AM by Chris »
Keep it tight

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: All you can eat salad with a side of soup
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2023, 06:02:57 AM »
 Glad to see some shark action 8), where was Squatch ?

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2023, 08:31:11 AM »
That was a fun trip, but my ankles are sore from running over all of those shore rocks!  Thanks for the invite Chris and I definitely want to do it again, but I hope there is not as much vegetation in the water next time. 
I also might move up in line strength because those rocks as the tide comes up in are brutal.  I was so bummed losing that bass/shark but it was fun fishing for sure!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2023, 01:29:30 PM »
That was a fun trip, but my ankles are sore from running over all of those shore rocks!  Thanks for the invite Chris and I definitely want to do it again, but I hope there is not as much vegetation in the water next time. 
I also might move up in line strength because those rocks as the tide comes up in are brutal.  I was so bummed losing that bass/shark but it was fun fishing for sure!

I’m definitely using heavier line. I had 30lb mono and no shock leader. Maybe an excuse to build a heavier rod and bump up to 50 just for this area.

A few days of better weather and several tide exchanges should give us cleaner water. 

I was looking at the area and it reminded me of some spots in Japan that we brought in a couple bags of cement and put in PVC pipe to shove rod holders in. I’m half tempted to do that rather than stack rocks and smash more fingers haha.
Keep it tight

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2023, 09:50:32 AM »
It's really good to see one on the board, congrats Chris.  Maybe the tides are turning
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2023, 02:40:23 PM »
Chris fishes the shore? Sounds like a fun night.