Author Topic: Stairs and divers  (Read 3698 times)

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
Stairs and divers
« on: December 21, 2022, 12:13:43 AM »
Walked down the 300 steps to the spot (might only be 100) and got little man and I set up to toss some bait.

Set him up with a nice bonito head on his new spinner and I put half a sand dab on my long rod.

We fished about 3.5 hours and changed baits a dozen times. Dabs got smacked but aren’t a good surf bait and come off easy, even the heads. Bone got hit but it was a mix of lobster and small rays from what I could tell.

Saw a diver getting ready, he shined his light on us 3 times before getting in. 10 minute into his swim he was in my line. I waded out, shined my light, whistled and yelled at him until I had his attention and he went north… then got out and left.

Saw two decent shovels and a turkey platter size bat in the skinny while casting so I put Donovan’s rod a little short and right between the two small sets of breakers but he just got swarmed with bait stealers.

Called it at 8:30. Still had bait but we were both freezing and decided warm showers and dinner sounded good. The stairs proved a little Challenging with cold, numb feet.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 12:19:06 AM by Chris »
Keep it tight

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Re: Stairs and divers
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2022, 12:44:14 AM »
Good try, I think I’ve also struggled with dabs for bait in the surf. They’re slimy enough that you’d think they’d be a home run.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2022, 02:43:49 AM »
With Denny and Tony now young adults and my granddaughter no longer being with us, I really miss fishing with kids.  Glad you got him out   :)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2022, 08:25:44 AM »
Man, the divers always show up out of nowhere and hover over my baits every fall/winter.

Sorry I couldn't get out last night, but my days are all decided for me until my folks leave next week.  Glad you guys got out and attacked the steps.  I haven't attempted the steps in quite a while and afraid I would have to stop 5 times just trying to get back up them with all the gear.  lol

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2022, 12:48:54 PM »
Most of the steps around here are about 150. I count.

I’m with Tom, been awhile since I’ve climbed the steps. I’d have to stop even with no gear at this point I think.