Author Topic: Chateaubriand (12/17)  (Read 2395 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Chateaubriand (12/17)
« on: December 18, 2022, 04:39:12 PM »
With my folks in town, I was hosting a big dinner with them, my wife's aunt & uncle, and my family.  We weren't sure what to do so I was shopping and came across three whole temderloins.  I've had Chateaubriand one before and remember it was awesome, so I figured what the hell. The sticker shock though was a little much.

I took my time trimming it down and tying it up with butcher twine.

I seasoned it with fresh pepper and kosher salt, them put some sprigs of thyme on them.  A quick vacuum seal and it was ready for the Sous Vide.

A 7 hour cook in the sous vide at 130 degrees was what the doctor ordered.  I then used some grape seed oil in a cast iron pan and made the perfect color and bark on the meat.

I was actually utterly awed to see it came out so good.  These three loins were pretty big and there was no leftovers.  Everyone was even happier than me eating it!

Literally a plastic knife would cut right through with barely any pressure on it and the flavor was fantastic!

I made some carrots and golden potatoes as one side and grilled asparagus as the other.  Besides being tasty, it was quite the colorful display!

In any case, it was an expensive meal, but probably 10x cheaper than if I brought everyone else out to eat!

Well, thanks for reading and it is well worth it if you were looking to cook up some Christmas Beast for dinner!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Re: Chateaubriand (12/17)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2022, 04:54:01 PM »
That looks so good. Simple and elegant.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2022, 09:39:00 AM »
Wow, that looks amazing!!!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2022, 05:30:37 PM »
Thanks guys, it really was fantastic!  I'm generally critical of my cooking, but this was really out of the park!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2022, 06:20:28 AM »
 Looks amazing, that is something I need to try someday 8) 8)