Author Topic: The Curse Is Real 12/7/2022  (Read 4521 times)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
The Curse Is Real 12/7/2022
« on: December 08, 2022, 07:00:17 AM »
 Trying to get more into the swing of things and fish a little. Taco Tuesday has been a limiting factor.

Got a text from Tom suggesting it might be a good night last night so I skipped my second job and met him at the bar for a couple pre fishing drinks and a bite to eat.

He had previewed several local spots. We chose the one judged as pristine.

Things must have changed on the rising tide as there was a bunch of weeds on the shoreline and a couple sea monsters in the surf. Not bad, but not pristine.

Got set up and took my first cast with a chunk of mackerel.

Sitting, relaxing, and my rod bends and clicker screams. WTH? its been 10 minutes and I'm on? Can't believe it.

Grab my rod and start to tighten up, but there is no pressure. Reel like hell to take up slack and now its on.

Nice run, followed by slack line. Thought I lost it, but reeled in quick and came tight once again. Classic leopard rushing the beach. Whatever. Still nice to pull on something.

Inattention and miscommunication lead to a small tangle, followed by a lecture on watch your line.

Tom made the tail grab and landed my fish. Soupie. Nice. Been too long. Probably would come around more often if I hit the beach instead of the brewery once in awhile.

Fish had a big gash on one side and a small wound on the other. Love bite? or did I manage to snatch it from the mouth of something bigger? Can't say.

Told Tom I might as well go home as it was my first cast and the curse is real. Hung around anyway just because.

As it turns out I not only cursed myself, but Tom and the rest of the sea as we never had another hit, or even a definitely chewed bait for the next 3 hours.

Hit the road and made last call for a quick one on the way home. Managed to find my regular trivia teammates still there basking in their victory. Guess they didn't need me after all.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: The Curse Is Real 12/7/2022
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2022, 07:23:13 AM »
Inattention and miscommunication lead to a small tangle, followed by a lecture on watch your line.

I must have been in rare form then... between that and the DtownAnon theories being spewed.  lol

Nice catch Steve!  I was jealous to see your rod get hit so quick, but I was hoping for one of my own.  I didn't know how encompassing that First Cast Curse could really get, but now I know.  It felt great to shake off some of the rust from the catching to the landing though.  We'll be a well-oiled shark catching machine again in no time!    8)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2022, 08:38:53 AM »
 That's a hefty gash :o 1st Cast Curse is real, I've been a victim :( Glad you saw some action :)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2022, 08:55:01 AM »
Can't tell you how stoked I am for you guys (especially Steve), looking at the list this is the first for the whole year for the 'regulars'.  Looking at the wound, it just makes me realize everything in that ocean is trying to eat each other   :o
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2022, 10:33:31 AM »

I must have been in rare form then... between that and the DtownAnon theories being spewed.  lol

Nice catch Steve!  I was jealous to see your rod get hit so quick, but I was hoping for one of my own.  I didn't know how encompassing that First Cast Curse could really get, but now I know.  It felt great to shake off some of the rust from the catching to the landing though.  We'll be a well-oiled shark catching machine again in no time!    8)

No harm no foul. Just wanted people to know fishing with you isn’t all fun and games. 🍻

Farmer_Joey

• Shovelnose
  • I suck at fishing
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2022, 07:11:39 PM »
Hell yeah, good to see you guys getting on em again
Farmer's only

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2022, 08:44:52 AM »
Steve 1, Tom 0!!!

Nice win Steve!!!
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2022, 01:00:07 PM »
Nice fish.

And somewhere out there…is an even nicer fish.