Author Topic: Langley Reels  (Read 2298 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Langley Reels
« on: November 12, 2022, 07:19:34 AM »
So I have a buddy at my work that is an old school soul.  He can't help himself trying to save old pieces of quality/cool things from going into the trash.  He's not a hoarder, but comes across some cherry stuff he can't seem to let go to the landfill.  For example, he come across old blueprints for old aerospace planes and devices and has donated them to the aerospace museum which actually loved the donation.  He rather find the right person for these items than just sell or hoard them.

I'm not 100% sure, but from what I gather, his wife is a property manager and rents out homes and such.  They occasionally get some homes that are filled to the brim with stuff and need to get it cleaned out.  This case, the parents passed and the son took all of the keepsakes he wanted and told them they can just ditch the rest.  Well my buddy went in and he said it was like a time capsule from the 1950's.  He salvaged and donated what he could and kept a few things that he didn't have the heart to just get rid of, like some new- old - boxes of reels.  These don't take up much space, so he's had them in his garage the last 15-20 years.

Now to my case.  We would talk about old cars as well as just about anything you might see on American Pickers.  One day he told me about the reels, but couldn't remember the name so I asked if he could bring one in so I could check it out.  Months went by and he got to know that I'm a tackle ho as well as an angler and I came into work yesterday to see a big smile on his face as well as a bag at my desk.  I was floored as I never heard of Langley Reels before and these things were brand spanking new!

He brought me 6 in the box

I'm like not kidding, they had the tissue paper, tools, grease, and manual all locked in these little time capsules.

Model 820-G

Model 822H

And one baitcaster that was in impeccable condition

I couldn't be more stoked and they are now displayed in my vintage tackle museum for display.

Anyway, I just wanted to share what a cool thing this was.  With everything I got going on right now, this was really a spirit lifter.

Thanks for reading!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Langley Reels
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2022, 07:53:50 AM »
 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Those are cool Tom!  Langley made quality stuff, and those would fish better than most of the stuff on the shelves today.
Of course, displayed in your tackle museum is a much better place for them!

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2022, 12:48:44 PM »
I bet there are some folks on ebay that would pay well for a few of them. Cool find!

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2022, 04:35:58 PM »
You gotta spool one up and catch a spottie on one!
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2022, 08:03:36 AM »
These things survived 70+ years in the box in new condition... and say "Freshwater" on them so many of the parts are probably magnesium or easily corroded.  No way I'm using them.

I have plans for them already.  8)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.