Author Topic: Sevengill Soup 10/25  (Read 4643 times)

Farmer_Joey

• Shovelnose
  • I suck at fishing
    • View Profile
Sevengill Soup 10/25
« on: November 10, 2022, 06:40:19 AM »
Got off work early enough to make the drive up to a ventura county spot with a friend. Got to the beach about an hour before dark, conditions were good other than a lot of salad on the beach. Tide was incoming so we took some time to throw all the salad high up on the beach so it wouldn't end up in the water again later.

Got done with cleaning the beach and baits were out by sundown. On my 2nd soak, i get a screaming run that only lasts for a second or two before it stopped. Bait was completely gone, so i put on another mackerel and casted again. 5-6 minutes later and another screamer. This one sticks and it's a definite soupfin. Get it landed after a few minutes to see it's my first male and a pretty good one for a male too. Couple pics and back it went

Couple hours go by with no biters until right as the tide started to shift to outgoing. My rod tip goes crazy but no clicker and then it stopped. Wind on it thinking it's just some kelp until it hits the waves and starts thrashing at the surface. My buddy goes out to leader it and it's a little 5.5ft sevengill and my first one of the year. No fight at all but still cool to see one so early before winter. Got a handful of pictures and then took a release video of it trying to eat me.

My friend wasn't really getting bit until he had one short bite during the outgoing, but nothing landed after the sevengill and then the salad got bad so we decided to pack it up and leave.

10/25/22, soupfin, *71 inch approx, male, mackerel, 1-2ft surf, 67 degree water, incoming, new moon, ventura county

10/25/22, sevengill, *66 inch approx, female, mackerel, 1-2ft surf, 67 degree water, high outgoing, new moon, ventura county
Farmer's only

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Sevengill Soup 10/25
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2022, 06:52:43 AM »
Wow, more for the list!  Congrats boss!

Keep climbing that Shark List!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2022, 07:17:04 AM »
Getting it done, wish I could get out more.  Congrats my man, here are the critters

Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2022, 08:39:25 AM »
BTW, you are in the absolute lead for the Fall Suef Shark contest! 

https://www.prehistoricsoul.com/forum/index.php?topic=4675.0
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Farmer_Joey

• Shovelnose
  • I suck at fishing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2022, 09:42:56 AM »
Getting it done, wish I could get out more.  Congrats my man, here are the critters

Thanks for always posting pics, appreciate it

Can't wait for my new free rod haha
Farmer's only

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2022, 12:22:23 PM »
Nice sharks!
I sure miss shark fishing in Ventura!  Love those foggy nights on the beach waiting for the rod to start bouncing!

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2022, 04:31:25 PM »
Damn you got it figured out! Good to see a 7.