Author Topic: Rusty Mc Rust Rust (10/29)  (Read 2220 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Rusty Mc Rust Rust (10/29)
« on: October 30, 2022, 09:13:43 AM »
It's been since June that I fished inshore.

Steve caught a bad bug, so I made the solo trip to try and get my therapy in.  Beautiful morning and it was nice not having to show up at any particular time, but I had to call it by noon no matter what.

Water was quite cold and the wind was already out first thing.  3' @7seconds wasn't bad, but with the winds, it was a little bit spoty.

I caught a mix of bass, rockfish, whitefish, and assorted oobly gooblies.  I was only keeping the ones that weren't going to make the return trip.

I had 2+ dozen fish through the morning but stopped at 9 in case I got a big one.

i was dropping the small iron and bucktail which caught most of the fish, but I dropped a big 4oz bucktail with a whole squid pinned on.  I should have tied it up to a bigger rod, but I stuck with the bass gear.

Of course, it got inhaled, and felt like a nice lingcod.  I got it off the reef by about 15 feet, when it went ripping down and found something to wrap on or hole to go in.  I tried opening the bail, but it kept bouncing and was not getting loose.  I tried for a bit with no luck and the line eventually snapped.  Losing a $12 bucktail was the hardest part of the whole thing.

I had a few nice fish on which really seemed to be sheepshead, but they dogged me also.  That's what I get for using the smaller gear to have a little more fun.  Oh well.

I felt a little tap and was sure I hooked it, but felt nothing.  I reeled in to what I thought was a kelpfish at first and realized that I had a painted greenling (Oxylebius pictus) instead!  Holy crap!  I didn't think these things got anywhere near Southern Cal!

Well, I never got the big one to get my limit, but it was a fun shot at them and fun actually staying inshore.  I actually ran to the deeper rockfish spots to look around, but only saw nothing... not even a pixel on the sonar.

As I was pulling the fish out of the water hold, I saw this nasty critter.

Nasty...

Anyway, my booty for the morning.  The title to the post had to do with all the fish I missed.  It's been a while since I bottom fished and used line for something other than pelagics.

Thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2022, 09:15:22 AM by Latimeria »
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Rusty Mc Rust Rust (10/29)
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2022, 09:26:38 AM »
Wish I could have made it. I’m still coughing up half a lung.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2022, 08:00:54 PM »
The painted greenling!!! I unhooked one on the sport boat today! Greenling was on my tongue but assumed kelpfish in the moment since that's a NorCal thing. So funny we both saw them this week. Good haul on the meat. Sounds like a nice fun day!

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2022, 08:06:54 PM »
That hitch hiker looks cool whatever it is. Nice variety, the bigger Whitefish actually fight pretty good and taste great too. Hope Steve gets to feeling better ;)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2022, 03:28:34 AM »
Looks good to me, except the nasty looking critter crawling out of the gills   :o
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2022, 06:20:24 AM »
Super cool on the painted greenling! I saw one once snorkeling in La Jolla, and it always bugged me that I couldn't catch one. There's a lot of photos of them perched on the wrecks outside Mission Bay (Ruby E, Yukon, etc).