Author Topic: Columbus Day offshore trip (video)  (Read 2115 times)

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
Columbus Day offshore trip (video)
« on: October 12, 2022, 08:42:44 PM »
Decided to load the bait tank and dedicate a day to finding a yellowfin from the Kaboat.

Sardines don’t do well in my tank so I have to catch Mac’s and it was a chore this morning. Every time I’d mark bait a pod of dolphins was on my ass and chasing them. Finally picked up a couple big green backs and handful of Spanish just off the beach. Would have preferred some mini green backs.

Got slammed and cut off trolling a Yozuri crystal minnow in 90ft, but not before catching a calico on it… Some big bones around.

Headed out and met Jeremy. We had been texting and keeping each other in the loop. I kinda had an idea where he was but wasn’t 100% sure. Headed west and ran right into him.

We exchanged hellos, confirmed we had tuna on the brain and then put trollers out.

Jeremy stopped and I kept going after some commotion in the distance, ended up Finding dolphins about 10 miles out but wasn’t marking fish or bait. They weren’t too energetic either. Went back to Jeremy and we continued on and found another decent patty with marks under it but nothing would hit our jigs or live baits.

We parted ways and I headed west; Zig zagged north and south until I was almost to the 312, bypassing paddy’s that obviously held Mahi but gave them the old big circle with trollers out.

No tuna in the bag and it was later than I’d have liked so I slid into a patty and used up my Mack’s for some fresh Mahi. Pulled 4 and missed 2 due to short strikes and them taking my bait. Figured it was enough and headed in.
Found a bag of soda cans too.

Water was 68-69 most of the time. Found some breaks with 70-71.

This is probably my last “offshore” trip. Changing gears and going to focus on some other stuff and Do some lazy yellowtail fishing once a week.

Here’s the video, hope you enjoy!

https://youtu.be/YaduYFeKnkI
Keep it tight

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Columbus Day offshore trip (video)
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2022, 06:27:12 AM »
Great video and report Chris!  I get you, I've tried to change gears here a bunch, but the pelagics could at any point go byby and possibly might not be back in a while.  We've been spoiled lately and I always fear they will be gone as quick as they arrived, so trying to capitalize on the opportunities.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2022, 08:36:50 AM »
 Nice video, looks like great conditions, I need to get on these fish before they disappear, enjoy the fresh food ;)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2022, 10:20:01 AM »
Funny how simple and easy it was to find each other. I thought we might be playing hide and seek for an hour but you just popped right up. At least one of us found some game fish.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2022, 01:09:01 PM »
Nice Chris!!

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2022, 04:33:47 AM »
Very cool indeed Chris, nice fish