Author Topic: Look for One, Get the Other 10/10 & 10/11  (Read 2098 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Look for One, Get the Other 10/10 & 10/11
« on: October 11, 2022, 06:44:05 PM »
10/10

Launched from Dana Point 0630. Was heading toward Oside Canyon area but wanted to make bait at a proven ground and check out some water in between where I saw some breezer tuna last week.

Got to the bait grounds where the party boats are absolutely plagued with mackerel. Really just wanted a fresh dead mack so I could set it up as a skip bait. I couldn't buy one. Caught back to back to back bonito before getting the hint.

No ice so they will become bait later.

Started heading south, no signs of life. Then came up on like a dozen paddies within a mile of each other. Trolled by em for nothing.

Got down to Oside area and then Chris came up on me. We shared notes that we hadn't already been texting and then trolled and scanned. I came up on one kelp holding a few marks down deep, worked it for a minute then gave up. Then came back over to Chris and we rolled up on a monster paddy, biggest I've seen this year.

Something was under it.

No biters.

We split ways because I needed to start heading north again. Chris disappeared west, and found some players, though not the tuna we were both looking for. I trolled a Yozuri Bonita for about 5 miles before kelp became a constant issue on the line. Back to the ramp around 1500.

10/11

Decided to stay local in HB and go smack around the bonita that people were saying were so easy to find and catch. Slept in, launched around noon. Bit of a breeze but no swell.

As soon as I left the harbor I saw some splashes. Bonita? No wait, looks like a sword bill coming out of the water....seal slapping around a fish? Nope! Thresher slapping around bait. OF course, this was the first trip this year that I only brought bass rods....and no macks to toss to it. I said f@ck it, threw an LC spook at it. Thresher left. Topwater lure did make sense in that instance though. Would prefer more than 15# leader though.

Went off to Izor's to find the bonito. Brought the 4wt fly rod to cast and troll flies with. Started trolling since I didn't see any surface action and got my first saltwater fish on the fly...

Thresher bait for later....wanted to find the bonito though. Kept trolling and picked off 5 mackerel while not seeing anything else. Of course. Isn't this water infested with bonito? Not while I'm looking for 'em.

Decided to leave Izor's and head in shallower. Switched to the mini iron. Picked off a legal sandie. Had a friend follow him to the surface. Drift that spot a few more times and pull another short. Nervous bait ball up top distracts me for a minute, it disappears, so do the bites on this stone.

Headed in shallower and put together a nice steady pick on legal and barely short bass for an hour or so.

Left that, filleted 2. Chop picked up a bit and it was a wet ride in. Checked out the spot where the thresher was and no sign of it. Never leaving for an inshore trip without a capable thresher rod again. Probably gonna try targeting them a couple times in the next month. Also need to stock up on mackerel for the winter.

Tomorrow's a 3/4 day, probably looking for mahi, so time to sleep.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Look for One, Get the Other 10/10 & 10/11
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2022, 07:04:57 PM »
 A couple weeks ago Macks were thick, Sunday we only got 1 and it was a Spanish Mack ::) ::) Thresher on the fly rod will get interesting really fast ;D Nice Calicos, good luck out there 8)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2022, 03:51:28 AM »
Enjoyed the read Jeremy, thanks for sharing
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2022, 07:33:13 AM »
That is a sweet little Avet, love those reels!
And I loved seeing the fly rod in the mix!  More of that please!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2022, 09:09:46 AM »
Great read Jeremy and that FF view of those marks are amazing.  That looks very YFT like.....

Nicely done on all the species and glad you ran into Chris out there.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2022, 09:17:55 PM »
That is a sweet little Avet, love those reels!
And I loved seeing the fly rod in the mix!  More of that please!

Just recently picked up the SXJ G2. I wish I got this model a long time ago. Can cover 15-30# easy so basically do anything you want with it in SoCal outside of cow tipping. Love my other Avets as well but this one is probably the happiest I've been with a fishing purchase in a looooong time. And I've made waaaayyyy too many fishing purchases the past few years! And yes I'm thinking I'll be bringing out the fly rod a little more when I can. Just realized right now that I could probably hit those bass on that reef with an 8wt and probably kick ass.

Tom, YFT you say....they are thicker marks, Had some super long wiggles that barely came back yellow on the previous paddy, so I started off thinking mahi have a pretty light silhouette on the FF, then saw these. So you're probably right.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2022, 06:24:09 AM »
Tom, YFT you say....they are thicker marks, Had some super long wiggles that barely came back yellow on the previous paddy, so I started off thinking mahi have a pretty light silhouette on the FF, then saw these.

The red in the wiggles are mass.   YFT, Wavy lines just like that with thick red.  BFT, Big or sometimes small arcs with thick red.  Vertical lines, dolphin (mammal).  Thinner lines with some red, but mostly blues and less dense have showed up from dodo to blue perch for me.  I'm running a Lowrance HDS, but they all have looked the same on my friends Simrad as well.

You guys are definitely elevating the rubber boat industry here in SoCal!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.