Author Topic: Doheny Catch and a Surprise  (Read 3922 times)

Dark_Knight_9C1

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Doheny Catch and a Surprise
« on: October 04, 2022, 02:58:52 PM »
Was at Doheny beach on Monday, playing hooky from work. Fished fresh frozen mussels which I collected in Ventura. Got a few little bumps on my line and came back with cleaned off hooks, except for the thread. Finally got a solid bite. Picked up my pole felt it still on and started to reel it in. Didn't feel like anything for a while and finally saw a spot fin croaker slide up on the sand. Nice 12" one. Just didn't put up much of a fight. At least I shook the stripe.

A little later I was looking out toward the mouth of the Dana Point Harbor and I see a splash. First I think dolphins. Then I see a 6 ft plus shark jumping full length out of the water. Then again. I told my wife to look and it proceeded to jump 3 more times fully out of the water, straight up. What a surprise. My wife got a good look at it too. Which made me feel better than when I just tell her about it and get the usual look.
My guess was juvenile GW. Dark on top and white on the bottom. Saw a paddle boarder go around the same area later and was able to compare sizes. Definitely longer than the paddle boarder was tall.

In Monterey this week with my wife for our anniversary. Staying in Big Sur. Hoping to hit a couple beaches while we're here.

-Keith
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 03:32:50 PM by Dark_Knight_9C1 »

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: Doheny Catch and a Surprise
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2022, 03:17:27 PM »
Awesome, I'd love to one breach
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2022, 06:22:39 PM »
 Paddle Boarder better keep his eyes peeled  :o

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2022, 08:16:05 PM »
We fished the beach Sunday and saw 3 threshers go airborne. Or maybe it was 2, one was definitely bigger than the others.
Had 2 runs, hooked and lost one and caught a boat.
Keep it tight

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2022, 06:21:31 AM »
Nice skunk busting spot!  Yep, the Threshers are in close also, but I've seen quite a few jumping great whites this past year.  If a paddle boarder was near by, I would suggest it was more than likely a GW. The threshers I encounter generally get spooked easier than the GW's and if the paddle boarder was kind of following it around, it's been the growing trend.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2022, 09:19:41 AM »
Shark was looking for lunch!!!
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)