Author Topic: 10/2 Dazed and Confused  (Read 3687 times)

Ethansauce_

• Shovelnose
  • mackerel slayer
    • View Profile
10/2 Dazed and Confused
« on: October 03, 2022, 05:20:26 PM »
I found myself in Santa Monica yesterday with an hour to kill so I managed to bring a rod and sneak away to fish for an bit. Lots of traffic made finding a good spot difficult so I end up fishing a little stretch of less crowded beach somewhere between the SM pier and Venice. Only targeting halibut and other small critters I started by throwing a lucky craft with no luck. A quick switch to a hookup bait (first and probably last time I'll be purchasing one) brought on a massive bite that took 3 screaming runs and then popped off in less than 10 seconds. Upon closer inspection whatever had picked up the silly tube bait ripped the hook right off without breaking my 15lb line, a first for me. Curious to see if I could replicate that success/failure I re-tied another little tube and got only a handful of casts in before I was bit again! I spent most of the fight thinking I was about to break my Halibut PB but alas, just a confused leopard. I drew quite a crowd and got to remember why I dislike people so much. Shoutout to this random swimmer who snatched the shark out of the surf and quite literally threw it up on the sand..... thanks I guess?

Getting skunked on land, pier, and kayak since 01'

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: 10/2 Dazed and Confused
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2022, 06:16:44 PM »
Shoutout to this random swimmer who snatched the shark out of the surf and quite literally threw it up on the sand..... thanks I guess?

That was my thought exactly.    That would have been great to see you holding up a big old halibut, but cool to see a lure-eating leo.

I also hear you about the people thing....
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2022, 02:20:41 AM »
Very cool indeed Ethan, leos are one of my favorite targets.  I also am with on the people thing,  I don't play well with other 'kids'
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2022, 08:17:08 AM »
Way to make the best of small fishing window!  8)

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2022, 06:27:49 AM »
Leo's are cool no matter what 8)