Author Topic: A Lot Of Fish Reports In One  (Read 4283 times)

Farmer_Joey

• Shovelnose
  • I suck at fishing
    • View Profile
A Lot Of Fish Reports In One
« on: September 10, 2022, 02:21:28 PM »
Have been doing a lot of fishing lately and a lot of fish have hit the sand so this is going to be a number of reports in one. All the details for fish added to the list will be on a reply below

7/3/22
Fished dropped baits, went 1 for 3 on biters. Buddy landed a white around 9.5ft

7/9/22
Sd county beach, fished casted baits on an outgoing tide. No salad or wind made for a nice night. One biter for my dad at 10pm but it spit the bait, ran very sevengill like. Nothing after

7/10/22
Fished dropped baits with some friends, 3 white sharks in total but i couldn't get bit to save my life. All smaller fish under 7ft

7/11/22
Fished dropped baits with one other friend. 4 for 4 on white sharks, got 2 each. My 2 were 8ft and 8.5ft and my buddies were 7.5ft and almost 9ft

Night of 7/15 - morning of 7/17
Fished a beach on catalina island for a couple days dropped baits and casted. First biter is a big leopard on a huge bonito head and 24/0 circle hook. Next biter was a pretty big black seabass for me on a dropped bait in the early morning. Midday produces another seabass on a dropped bait for my friend and then i hooked another seabass on a casted bait but the hook pulled when the fish was less than 10 yards from us. Last fish was another seabass on my friends casted rod.

7/17
Got back home from catalina and another friend called saying he wanted to fish so i packed up my stuff and headed to the beach to fish dropped baits. Finally got something other than protected species and had a soupfin and 2 sevens hit the sand. I had a short bite from both species and 1 or 2 other fish were hooked and lost as well. Soupfin bites came on incoming tide and sevengills bit as it shifted to outgoing. Won't bother adding these to the list since they are not my fish

7/23
Fished solo, couldn't buy a bite

7/30
Dropped baits, buddy caught 2 goddamn bat rays and another buddy caught a leopard. Pretty embarrassing night

8/4
Casted baits at a fairly popular SD county beach with a friend, biters were non stop but couldn't get most of them to stick. My friend gets bit 10 minutes in to our first soak, short bite. Next bait does the same thing. Next biter is on my rod, fish pulled pretty hard and felt very soupfin like but it charged the beach and the hook pulled at some point after. I get short bit on my next bait. My buddy gets 2 more short bites before he finally sticks one and it's a nice leopard shark. No bites after that. All between 9pm and 2am, end of outgoing through the middle of incoming

8/5
Back to the same beach with my dad to fish casted. My dad gets 2 short bites instantly but they seemed like leopards. On his 3rd cast he gets a screaming run as he is putting his rod in the rod holder. Fish spit the bait and the cable came back tore up as well as the bait. Most likely a soupfin, nothing after that. All on outgoing tide

8/11
Made bait at oceanside pier and then headed back down to the same beach for the 3rd time in a row. My friend gets 2 short bites instantly and then we pack up and head to a beach barely south. No biters until about 5am when my friend gets a slow run that ended up wrapping in his pulley rig and biting through 100lb mono shock leader

8/13
Fished solo way up in north LA county. Get a screaming run on my first soak and it's the right kind. After a couple good runs against a lot of drag i beach a big fat soupfin. Luckily a bystander got some good photos and i released it. On my next 3 or 4 baits they all got short bit within minutes of casting. Switch to a rig with a j hook stinger and i stick a nice 5ft leopard within 20 seconds of casting. Left right after because reel took a bath in the sand, left them on a wide open bite

8/14
Went to another SD beach with a friend to fish casted baits, i caught my smallest ever soupfin at 5.5ft on my first soak and later into the night i caught another nice leopard. All my buddy could catch were thornbacks.

8/21
Went back down to SD again with a friend this time to cast baits. Got another bigger grade soupfin on my 3rd soak. Nothing other than that

8/29
Fished solo, caught kelp and moved up the beach. Caught a thornback and went home
Farmer's only

Farmer_Joey

• Shovelnose
  • I suck at fishing
    • View Profile
Re: A Lot Of Fish Reports In One
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2022, 02:27:24 PM »
Will just add the soupfins from 8/13, 8/14, and 8/21 since they are my fish and bit on the surf casted baits.

Soupfin, 8/13, *75 inches, Female, Mackerel, 1-2ft, Incoming tide, Waning Gibbous, LA county

Soupfin, 8/14, *66 inches, Female, Bonito, 1-2ft, Incoming Tide, Waning Gibbous, SD county,

Soupfin, 8/21, *74 inches, Female, Mackerel, 1-2ft, Outgoing Tide, Waning Crescent, SD county

Would also like to add that these three soupfin bit on a water temperature drop as i don't typically have much luck with them in warmer water. Water in the surf was up to 73 degrees and nothing was biting in the surf, all on drops. It then dropped to 66-67 for about a week and they all seemed to come back into the surf for a bit. Went back up to 73ish and haven't caught any soupfin in the surf since. I think adding water temperature to the conditions that are written down in the shark list would be a good addition since it definitely plays a big role in getting bit
Farmer's only

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2022, 02:20:45 AM »
Damn, when do you sleep young man?  Sounds like you've been busy, congrats on the multiple critters.  Email me the pictures and I'll post them if you'd like. 
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Farmer_Joey

• Shovelnose
  • I suck at fishing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2022, 07:51:56 AM »
Damn, when do you sleep young man?  Sounds like you've been busy, congrats on the multiple critters.  Email me the pictures and I'll post them if you'd like.

Not much sleeping happens when you fish that much, sometimes i go days without it haha. When you put in that much time with a bait in the water it usually pays off though. And i sent you an email with pics
Farmer's only

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2022, 07:59:52 AM »
Holy crap!  Now that's what I've been missing!

I'm going to have to get to work on the shark list!  Bravo boss!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2022, 08:05:03 AM »

Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Farmer_Joey

• Shovelnose
  • I suck at fishing
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2022, 08:18:19 AM »
Thanks a lot for posting the pictures verne. And yeah, if this doesn't motivate any of you enough to hit the surf, i don't know what will
Farmer's only

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2022, 12:09:10 PM »
Wild. Great work!

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2022, 08:37:38 PM »
 Wow, someone who fishes more than Tom :o Impressive dedication 8) 

Ethansauce_

• Shovelnose
  • mackerel slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2022, 07:27:27 PM »
Quite the collection, I wish I could follow up my radio silence with a similar report haha! Good job!
Getting skunked on land, pier, and kayak since 01'

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2022, 09:08:02 AM »
I think adding water temperature to the conditions that are written down in the shark list would be a good addition since it definitely plays a big role in getting bit

Good idea.  I'll start adding them on upcoming reports.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2022, 09:11:38 AM »
I'm not sure if you want to participate in this NZ study, but here's the link in case you do.

https://www.prehistoricsoul.com/forum/index.php?topic=4630.0