Author Topic: Vampires of the Night (8/24)  (Read 3357 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Vampires of the Night (8/24)
« on: August 25, 2022, 02:23:22 PM »
I was supposed to meet up someone to wet a line, but they turned out to have something come up and couldn't make it.  Squatch was also out, so I had a decision to make.  Wife is out of town, but I didn't want to leave my daughter at home too long, so went for an old fashioned vina hunt.  I packed the bay rod and the trusty chartreuse  super spook.   Incoming tide looked to be perfect in some of the old high tide spots. 

Random riff-raff and urban campers in some of the good old spots had me wiggle down to some other areas that were close by. 

Heard some pops.

Missed a couple, but they weren't exactly blow ups, so not sure if they were needlefish, smelt or just small vina.

After about 60 casts I heard the "Gulp" and swept the rod back to feel some pressure on it!  Splash-splash-splash!

Not a monster, but probably 18" or 19".
It had both fangs...  and a bright ass yellow mouth! A lot brighter yellow mouth than what I remember, but it has been a while....

I was going to stay a bit longer, but decided on 20 more casts.  If I got bit at any point, I would stay for 20 more.  Figures, I cast another 20 times and not a thing, so drove back happy for my first "Topwater" vina of 2022.

Bay is sketchy at night in the summer, especially when there's no wingman, but I only was there an hour or so before heading back.

Thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 06:08:12 AM by Latimeria »
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
Re: First of the Year (8/24)
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2022, 02:53:29 PM »
Dems tasty!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2022, 04:44:25 PM »
That's another one that's on my bucket list, sure wish we had a bay around my neck of the woods
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2022, 07:27:12 PM »
Vibrant colors = 8)  Sketchy during the day sometimes, can't imagine a Solo trip without packing some heat :o

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
Re: Vampires of the Night (8/24)
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2022, 11:12:54 AM »
Nice job, Phong would be proud of you!
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)