Author Topic: Soupfin Shark Study - New Zealand  (Read 6051 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Soupfin Shark Study - New Zealand
« on: August 12, 2022, 08:51:27 PM »
So a PhD student from New Zealand is doing a study on Soupfin Shark.  Down there, they call them School Sharks, but it's the same exact shark.  Basically do what you are doing for my shark list, but maybe snap an extra picture or two.  I told him that we would be happy to help support a Shark Study and that a few of you would be more than to also help.

Here is his email.

Greetings Tom,

My name is Alex Burton.

I am a PhD student at Massey University in New Zealand studying the biology of school/soupfin sharks (Galeorhinus galeus).

I was recently talking with Ben Cantrell, and he mentioned that you capture and keep records of captured school sharks along the Californian coast.

As part of our research, my team and I would greatly appreciate help with gathering information on the biology of school sharks from around the world (https://www.facebook.com/SCH.NZ.INT, https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/school-sharks-international).

If you were interested in getting involved in the research, I have attached the information pack, reference guide, and photo example guide for the School Sharks International project, which outline how to get involved in the project and how to take the requested measurements and photographs.

Please also feel free to pass these documents and my email address onto anyone or group that you think would be interested in getting involved in this research.

If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thank you for your time.

Kind Regards,

Alex Burton
PhD Candidate

School of Natural Sciences | School of Mathematical and Computational Sciences
Massey University | Auckland | New Zealand
Here are the forms he mailed to me.

Here are the attachments:

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
Re: Soupfin Shark Study - New Zealand
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2022, 05:58:45 AM »
Thanks for posting this Tom.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Soupfin Shark Study - New Zealand
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2022, 06:02:13 AM »
So a PhD student from New Zealand is doing a study on Soupfin Shark.  Down there, they call them School Sharks, but it's the same exact shark.  Basically do what you are doing for my shark list, but maybe snap an extra picture or two.  I told him that we would be happy to help support a Shark Study and that a few of you would be more than  happy to help.

Here is his email.

Greetings Tom,

My name is Alex Burton.

I am a PhD student at Massey University in New Zealand studying the biology of school/soupfin sharks (Galeorhinus galeus).

I was recently talking with Ben Cantrell, and he mentioned that you capture and keep records of captured school sharks along the Californian coast.

As part of our research, my team and I would greatly appreciate help with gathering information on the biology of school sharks from around the world (https://www.facebook.com/SCH.NZ.INT, https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/school-sharks-international).

If you were interested in getting involved in the research, I have attached the information pack, reference guide, and photo example guide for the School Sharks International project, which outline how to get involved in the project and how to take the requested measurements and photographs.

Please also feel free to pass these documents and my email address onto anyone or group that you think would be interested in getting involved in this research.

If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thank you for your time.

Kind Regards,

Alex Burton
PhD Candidate

School of Natural Sciences | School of Mathematical and Computational Sciences
Massey University | Auckland | New Zealand
Here are the forms he mailed to me.

Here are the attachments:

You can't catch them from your computer chair.