Author Topic: Lake San Marcos - Staycation  (Read 3475 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Lake San Marcos - Staycation
« on: July 16, 2022, 10:18:03 AM »
I've heard of this place, but never saw it in any literature so felt like it was just an old mans story.  My wife found the resort and we booked this instead of our usual floating cabins. 

To my amazement, the place is real, but it's a private lake.  No place to really shore fish since half the lake is owned by residences and the other half at steep hilly areas where getting down seems like more work than necessary.

The lake view from the room.

It had a total Florida feel including old rich retirees everywhere.

I fished in every single place that said "No Fishing" since it was that, or rent out a tiny dock.... or pay $100/hr for a rental boat.  The water was really brown, but there were shad everywhere.  With that said, I didn't see or hear a single fish jump in the 4 days there.

I cast out a Live Target Bait Ball as it matched the hatch and seemed to have the thump that is needed for the bass to find the bait in such murky water.  Problem is, they heard it, but all the extra wires seemed to keep the bass off the main hook.  I had one bass grab it 3 times, but the pesky wires knocked it off each time.

Lots of Black Swans, and also White Swans... that never seemed to comingle.

The bird whisperer at work.

We ate great every day!

The moon coming over the mountain was awesome.

We rented a boat on the last day for an hour.  It was tough trying to fish and still have a family cruise all squeezed in one hours time..

I pitched baits the entire time, but no love.  An hour goes by quick when you are paying an arm and a leg for it.

Saw a Bloody Decks special at the docks also.

That was it and time to head back to the old homestead.  No fish to report, but a fun week with the family and much needed, especially my wife.

Thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 10:27:59 AM by Latimeria »
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Lake San Marcos - Staycation
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2022, 06:12:56 AM »
I used to sneak into the lake as a teenager, the Security Guard would always eventually run us out ;D , The bass were plentiful back in the 80's  :D Nice to see you got in some Family Time !  8) 8)

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2022, 03:58:34 PM »
Sweet spot about 5 miles from my daughters house.
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2022, 05:19:16 PM »
Sweet spot about 5 miles from my daughters house.

Void of fish is that lake....
You can't catch them from your computer chair.