Author Topic: Bishop 2022 (Long Read)  (Read 2417 times)

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Bishop 2022 (Long Read)
« on: June 28, 2022, 03:52:12 PM »
Well, we haven't been to Bishop since the twins were 2, so we were well overdue for another visit :) I loaded The Escalade and we headed for high ground 8) Didn't take Bad Pig and the Rig this trip cause Diesel is sky high so we stayed at The Creekside Inn, downtown Bishop for 3 days :D My buddy has a Vacation House in Crowley, across from the lake so we stayed at his place for 3 days as well  8)

The Hotel was very nice, even has a stream with fish in it 8)

Day one was a cooler than I expected, low 90's in Bishop and high 70's on the hill at Intake 2.  Aaron wasn't able to join us this trip but the twins look a bit taller these days ;D

They wasted no time as we visited our favorite spots, Janie even threw some bait too 8) 8)

We drove around and explored some creeks to fish the first day but the lake was the only spot that produced, no big deal cause we had fun !

There is a secluded spot that I like to fish and always had luck in the past, so it turned out to be a hot spot for fun, pan sized non stop action. Myles was first on the board  :D :D

Word on the street is The Bowling Alley next to the Hotel has good grub :o Yep they do, so since it was my Birthday, Timmy schooled the family at a fun game ;D ;D (check out that form  :o ;D)

Headed back up the hill the next day and a few Thunder Storms rolled in  ??? It was actually kind of nice since it was starting to warm up in Bishop, the mountains were much cooler in the rain ;) Drove The Hearse to another favorite spot and it was cloudy and wet but we fished anyway :) Lake Sabrina is very low  :( :'(

The lady at the local Info Center/ Gift Shop informed us that these are posted all over the place to let you know the Regs. for that particular spot. Just scan and read, pretty cool since some areas are barbless and C&R ;)

Time to venture up to Crowley and meet up with my buddy, haven't seen him since my eye surgery in 2016  ( Yep, the one eyed jokes are still flowing  ;D ;D ) His house is BEAUTIFUL  8) 8)

His place is on 1 acre and has a nice creek that flows thru it. He showed us pics of 3Lb'ers in it  :o :o

We enjoyed hanging out by the water and catching up on old times :) Of course I had to BBQ some good grub, including a nice trout  ;D

Tim ( my buddy ) took us all over the place, but right up the street is a pond with 5-6 pound trout in it. You pay by the hour to fish and if you want to keep them, it's $10 a pound  :o ::). He introduced us to fly fishing and Max hooked up but lost one :( It is definitely an acquired skill  :-[

The next day we got a tour of Mammoth and all the lakes in the June Lake Loop, very pretty scenery, haven't been here since I was 6 or 7 years old :) Had a nice lunch too :)

Max was being a SH*T Stain and didn't want his pic taken, so he missed out

Tim showed us another great spot to fish but no takers in that spot, still beautiful !

Off to The Upper Owens for some fun 8) 8) The wind showed itself for a bit, the only good thing about that was it kept the damn mosquitos away ;) The trout were on the chew 8) They wanted Gulp Power Eggs and Gulp Night Crawlers only ???

Although we did fish Lake Crowley, bait and wait is not my style, so we were always hiking to find the fish ;)

Hiking in search of the elusive trout  ;D

On Sunday Tim had to head back home so we helped him clean the house and get it ready for his next visit. He is having a big family gathering for 4th of July 8) He offered to let us stay and lock up when we left but since he just bought the place I didn't feel comfortable with that responsibility. We headed back to the Hotel after 3 days and nights at his pad. Oh yeah, we helped him move a new Fridge up the stairs and into the kitchen so I guess we earned our keep  ;D Max was hooked on fly fishing so guess what he wanted for our last day ::) ;D ;D Off to the local Tackle Shop we went :) :) He found a nice beginner setup with his recent Birthday money for a couple hundred bucks. My buddy was fishing with a high dollar rig (2 Grand) Just a bit out of Max's budget  ;D ;D Back to Intake 2 for our last day and The old First Cast Curse set in with the new fly rod ;D ;D Dink Fest after that so we called it a day.

Janie did a good job taking pics. We had a great family getaway 8) 336 Miles from our house to Bishop, made it there and back on less than 1 tank of gas (26 Gallons) :o :o The Hearse gets pretty damn good mileage  8) 8) It was a quiet ride home after 7 days of fishing, Thanks for reading  8) 8)

P.S.  While  searching/fishing the Owens River, someone crashed into a guard rail and signs. I guess the signs went into the water for a while before being pulled out, Timmy now has a couple of Souvenirs for his patio :D 8)

« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 04:08:52 PM by Tim524 »

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: Bishop 2022 (Long Read)
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2022, 03:47:20 AM »
Great write up and killer pictures, it was a trip down memory lane for me
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2022, 06:15:25 AM »
Wow!  Hell of a trip and great read!  Man, you guys make the fishing look easy up there.  That's the least amount of cooking and food pictures I think you've had in a single post! Lol

I have yet to get up there and really need to go sooner than later.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2022, 09:23:04 AM »
Nice trip, spent a week camping on the shoreline and fishing Lake Sabrina back in the 70's.

Max is gonna love fly fishing for Bonito and other saltwater critters.
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2022, 08:46:37 PM »
What a spectacular trip! Fish look healthy and such a huge array of beautiful scenery.