Author Topic: Where the Murderkill meets the Slaughter  (Read 2479 times)

Angry

• Shovelnose
  • Kalashnikov Plumber
    • View Profile
Where the Murderkill meets the Slaughter
« on: November 06, 2021, 05:10:23 PM »
Long time lurker, infrequent poster.  I’m in Delaware with 2 of my kids for lacrosse tournaments and we’re staying in an Air B&B in a little fishing village called Bowers Beach.  (Verne, you’ve met them at the Bu house I think). Anyway…this spot was cheap because its off season, but we were happy to find rods in the shed so we walked the 400 ft to the docks on the Murderkill River where it meets Slaughter Beach.  On the advice of an oldtimer on a nearby porch, we tossed in some clams to try for stripers.  After about 30 min the kids decided they were cold, so they went in search of ice cream.  Yes, I know.

We packed up and moved down to the jetty, and were immediately plagued by baitstealers. I’m guessing crabs because this is the Chesapeake after all.  About 20 min in I got a long slooooow pulldown like a bat will do.  I nursed the rod for a few minutes because I was unsure of the borrowed gear, but after a bit we saw brown wings flapping in the skinny.  As I tried to navigate the move from rocks to sand, I gave it a little too much slack and there went my skate (think bat but all brown with a stubby tail).  A gentlemans release in 6 inches of water.  It was probably only 24” across, but at least it was something.  Thats my fish story and I’m sticking to it.  Pics coming…

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Where the Murderkill meets the Slaughter
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2021, 05:28:43 PM »
Hey, thanks for the post!  As for the skate, I would guess it's a clearnose skate as it's the most prevalent out there, but there is about 7 different species of them. 
Super cool report from the east coast as It's been quite a while since I last was fishing out there.  (Well, in hindsight, I did go out there 5 years ago to VA beach looking for bull red drum)

Looking forward to seeing any pics you want to share.  (Also, those bait stealers were definitely most likely crabs... I would have to fish everything with a float 2 inches above the hook to keep them off the bait. LOL)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Angry

• Shovelnose
  • Kalashnikov Plumber
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2021, 07:31:00 PM »
Maybe this will work

https://imgur.com/a/Vmrp2rG

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2021, 08:46:17 PM »
Cool report from a far away (and all-around ominously named...) land! Least you got eye balls on your skate.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2021, 01:53:23 AM »
Been a minute Gabe, and I do remember meeting your kids.  Hope all is well my man, thanks for checking in
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Angry

• Shovelnose
  • Kalashnikov Plumber
    • View Profile
Re: Where the Murderkill meets the Slaughter (2022 Update!)
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2022, 07:20:13 PM »
Well, the boy and I were back in DE and MD the past 2 weeks for recruiting tournaments.  We stayed at our favorite spot and hit the jetty 3 evenings.  It was nearly a fish every cast, with croakers, rays, sharks, oystercrackers (hate these things), trout, schoolie stripers, etc.  He got one big fish that he played for a long time on the department store 10lb test, but it broke off.  The busted end was raspy and rough, so I'm guessing large shark.  Love fishing the Chesapeake.

https://imgur.com/a/wKPFP6W

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2022, 03:01:47 AM »
Very cool indeed, the boys have sure grown up
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2022, 06:18:59 AM »
Hey, Great pictures and report!  When the fishing is good out there, it's usually great!

As for the oyster crackers...  I used to hate them also, but never took any pictures of them.  Back then I didn't want to waste a shot of 35mm or some other camera film on a trash fish to get developed, but kind of regret it now.  Same with the Sea Robins....  Back to the Oyster Cracker really quick... Don't want to get you fingers near that mouth.  Never got bit by one, and never would want to.  lol

Thanks for the report and glad everyone is doing well and great catching!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.