Author Topic: Mission Watch-Tom-Slay 6/24  (Read 1498 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Mission Watch-Tom-Slay 6/24
« on: June 24, 2022, 11:01:09 PM »
Got a hold of some discontinue Daiwa surf rods a few months ago. They were nice but decided I ultimately didn't need them. Offered them to Tom for a combination of PSoul giveaways and perhaps his own personal use and he obliged. Passed them off to him after a morning of fishing with him on the Curmedgeon.

Arrived at the ramp around 0530, out the harbor by 0600.

Started by checking for squid on the grounds. Metered some stuff and I dropped the squid jigs while Tom checked for other forms of life with a megabait.

I watched as Tom brought in about a dozen mackerel, 2 short barracuda, a couple calicos, a treefish, and a rockfish before I concluded that there were no squid to catch with the squid jig.

With no squid but a number of chub and jack mackerel in the bait tank, we moved on to some longer drifts looking for bigger game. Tried that for a solid 90 minutes or more without a bite before we metered some smaller stuff and Tom found another flurry of a half dozen calicos.

With an eater involved.

I've always been curious about how Tom puts his numbers together, how much he might fudge, how many different shirts he puts on when he catches a nice fish. But he is a real stick, and we were both very much on track for our usual days at this point, him bringing in somewhere in the realm of 25-30 fish to this point and my being perfectly in line with my average of 0. But I did not fret! After watching his cadence for a while, and borrowing one of his magic irons, I too joined in on the fun once we switched spots.

Tom wasn't to be outdone.

I had a dozen assorted rockfish to my name in no time, thankfully, for it was no time before the wind came up. I neglected to bring any of my seasick stuffs, and the short period eventually got to me. Made it work for a while longer before the wind was ready to blow us back home. Landed around 12:30 or so.

Got a couple days worth of fillets, Tom got a few more hours of break-in time on his new Mercury, and ya'll might get some surf rods in the near future if you play your cards right.

Thanks again for having me out Tom! It was a good time and great company.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 10:04:53 AM by jrodda »

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Mission Watch-Tom-Slay 6/24
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2022, 08:51:21 AM »
It was great meeting/fishing with you Jeremy!  It could have been a big numbers day if our Plan A was bass and rockfish, but with the intel I got, it was worth the few hours of looking for squid and drifting for the right kind.  I'm kind of bummed we didn't have any takers on the macks though.

That wind was a little much as it never stopped all morning.  It's been a while that my shorts were soaked with salt spray from the wind blowing the waves over too.

As for the rods, I grabbed 4 that fit the bill with some of my spinners.  Really nice rods the closer I  checked them out.  Thanks again Jeremy and hope you had a fun time out there.   8) 8)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2022, 12:55:51 PM »
Sounds like a fun day.  I know I’ve spent plenty of time watching Tom catch while I can’t get a bite. At least I’m not seasick while I’m doing it.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2022, 04:03:05 AM »
I know I’ve spent plenty of time watching Tom catch while I can’t get a bite. At least I’m not seasick while I’m doing it.

That's diffidently a plus   8)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2022, 09:34:04 AM »
Tom is just lucky!!!
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2022, 07:53:57 PM »
 Tom is a fish Magnet ;D ;D Looks like a fun day for sure, he put me on some fish years ago and I still talk about it. Rumor has it that Bananas are a good cure for sea sickness :o ;D ;D