Author Topic: Looking for sharks  (Read 8194 times)

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
Looking for sharks
« on: March 17, 2022, 06:01:05 PM »
Went out looking for threshers. Found the threshers but they had lock jaw. Seemed to be full on anchovies and … flying fish? Saw a few out there and it seems early, usually they’re here around Mother’s Day.

Got a blue to eat. I was trolling butterflied Mack’s and had two baits back about 75 ft. I had one line in my hand and was untangling the clip line for the downrigger in the other to send it down when it felt like I caught grass or trash then it was free… few seconds later it was back. Put the motor in neutral and both baits sunk but nothing happened so I put it in gear and got them tight then went to clip the bait and felt it again…. This time I slowly reeled it in and it would get tight then free then tight again. I got the bait in sight and let it sink under the boat and out of nowhere a threshers tail wrapped around the bait and then disappeared so I let it sink more while thumbing the spool and line started peeling off then stopped… after 3 times I reeled down and came tight. Found out soon after that the “thresher tail” was actually the whole 4ft blue shark. It came in easy and I had a bit of trouble getting the hook out boatside so I grabbed it and it proceeded to spin and wrapped up the leader, downrigger, a random 550 cord leash plus my arm and became a complete mess.
Got it unhooked and it spun itself out of the mess.

Here’s a little vid, Hope you enjoy! I’m going to get an action camera or two to document better.

https://youtu.be/l0TDRzPEj5A
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 06:03:33 PM by Chris »
Keep it tight

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for sharks
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2022, 03:27:02 AM »
Cool video, thanks for sharing
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2022, 07:30:11 AM »
Cool, sharks are fun to see 8)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2022, 07:46:39 AM »
Great video and editing Chris. Looks like the bait well it's working out pretty good. I've also taken pics of sealing eating either big doggies out there or they were small soupfin.
Keep the videos coming, love'em.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 11:30:33 AM by Latimeria »
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2022, 11:31:44 AM »
Sorry about my original reply.  I'm sick of the AI trying to guess what I mean when I'm texting a post anywhere.  I'll hopefully get the boat out next week and give it a shot knowing the Threshers are active.

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2022, 02:35:27 PM »
Sorry about my original reply.  I'm sick of the AI trying to guess what I mean when I'm texting a post anywhere.  I'll hopefully get the boat out next week and give it a shot knowing the Threshers are active.

I had to read it a few times and think I understand it haha.

Today was really rough, especially in an inflatable, but I got a solid whack on the bait o matic closer to shore (still really deep) but that was it. Who knows how many I didn’t notice because of how much I was bouncing around and the only real indicator was a solid rip of the drag and clicker. I have it rigged with a single hook and buried in a fillet so it would have to be eaten to hook up. Trying to avoid those tail hooked sharks.

I think I’m going to give it a rest and wait until next Thursday or Friday and go check out temps and where the bait is.

Also, I ran across a school of flying fish about 2 miles off the beach today. Could not get them to eat anything but got them to take flight a few times.
Keep it tight

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2022, 02:41:45 PM »
Great video and editing Chris. Looks like the bait well it's working out pretty good. I've also taken pics of sealing eating either big doggies out there or they were small soupfin.

The sea Lion and soupfin was closer to shore in about 200ft in a well known rockfish area. I was trolling and doing a lawnmower pattern covering ALOT of water doing about 3-4mph For almost 8 hours.
Keep it tight

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2022, 09:25:33 AM »
Also, I ran across a school of flying fish about 2 miles off the beach today. Could not get them to eat anything but got them to take flight a few times.

I support this endeavor, haha.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2022, 09:34:57 PM »

The sea Lion and soupfin was closer to shore in about 200ft in a well known rockfish area. I was trolling and doing a lawnmower pattern covering ALOT of water doing about 3-4mph For almost 8 hours.

Damn dude you probably burned almost a gallon of gas!

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2022, 09:44:09 PM »

Damn dude you probably burned almost a gallon of gas!

Yea man. I did 3 trips covering 15-20 miles and topped off my 6 gallon can and it took 3.2 gallons haha. I can run at 3/4 throttle (12mph ish) all day
Keep it tight

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2022, 10:55:58 AM »
Tom was PUI!!!

Used to run Marlin boats out of Newport Beach.

Threshers would use their tail and slap at the marlin lure, it was so loud you could hear it over the motors.

One time a paying customer (aka dim light bulb) did not control the Thresher, let the line go slack and the shark tail slapped me on my left side, shoulder and head.

Had black/blue/red marks for a week.
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2022, 03:51:08 PM »
One time a paying customer (aka dim light bulb) did not control the Thresher, let the line go slack and the shark tail slapped me on my ding-a-ling.

I think Dagodfaja used to call you "DLB"...  I wonder if that's what it meant???.....   ;D ;D ;D

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2022, 06:10:23 PM »
One time a paying customer (aka dim light bulb) did not control the Thresher, let the line go slack and the shark tail slapped me on my ding-a-ling.

I think Dagodfaja used to call you "DLB"...  I wonder if that's what it meant???.....   ;D ;D ;D

DLB = d!ck Larger than Bull
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)