Author Topic: Friday Downpours (3/4)  (Read 5266 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Friday Downpours (3/4)
« on: March 04, 2022, 03:22:34 PM »
Squatch took the day off and we planned on fishing in the rain.  We thought we would go for trout, but the lake was not stocked by the time I called before dinner.  Our plan B was to fish the bay for some bass and butts.
8:00pm rolls around and I get a message from Steve as well as a picture of the lake being stocked!  We decided to switch course and go for trout as we knew the lake would be pretty empty on a rainy day.  I woke up at 2:00am to heavy rain, thunder and lightning... I wasn't sure what the morning was going to bring.

I woke up to rain and finished prepping the boat and got on the road.  To my surprise, there was a line to get into the lake, but I was the only boat.

Aircavgrunt was lurking somewhere near as he farts rainbows from what Bing told me....  (Old SCSF joke)

There was no sign of trout... I mean no sign.  No dead trout at the ramp from the evening plant...  No puddlers.... No marks on the sonar....  no ospreys or eagles diving on them.  One thing there was... well... PLENTY of RAIN!

We tried all the usual trout haunts and saw nothing.  We tied up to the buoy line and seriously had the Ranger come down in the pouring rain to tell us to move off of it...  Ugh...

I also found out that waterproof Rain Coat was no longer waterproof.  Sitting in the hot garage for 5 years and only using it very infrequently must have dusted the waterproofing.  It was cold too.
Steve looked like his bright chartreuse powerbait he was casting out.

We tried for Cats, Red Ear, Bass, and trout, all on 2# test.  We saw 1 catfish that was scared of our nightcrawlers, and a huge bass that had absolutely zero interest in anything we offered it.  that was it.

I was so wet by this point and Steve was done, so we called it quits.  We got back to the ramp to see a guy chucking live shiners and nailing the 1-1/2 to 2# bass.  Go figure, but that's one thing we didn't have was shiners.  LOL

Anyway, it was actually fun fishing in the rain, but I just wish I didn't get so wet.  I'd hate to buy a new raincoat for that 2 or 3 times a year.  LOL

Thanks for reading!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Re: Friday Downpours (3/4)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2022, 06:00:22 PM »
Rain has always boosted my probability of a good day on the sweet water, too bad it didn’t pan out this time.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2022, 09:40:20 PM »
Dude. It was brutal out there at times. Still had a fun day off.

Stupid trout.

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2022, 10:27:53 PM »
Guess I'm not the only one to find out the hard way when raincoats go bad.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2022, 03:46:33 AM »
You two are men amongst men, that's dedication for sure   8)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2022, 04:03:01 AM by vdisney »
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2022, 07:50:54 AM »
 Tough conditions but the boat is clean ;D you guys are motivated 8) 8) 8)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2022, 10:41:55 PM »
"I was so wet at this point and Steve was done"...

Oh my.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)