Author Topic: Cuban dogfish and other Florida oddballs  (Read 1917 times)

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
Cuban dogfish and other Florida oddballs
« on: February 15, 2022, 10:20:49 AM »
Got out on a friend's boat near Pompano Beach on Saturday and did some deep dropping. Ally and I were hoping to get our first golden tilefish, and we knew we'd have to wade through a bunch of the very abundant blackbelly rosefish to find them. They taste similar to scorpionfish.

We didn't find any golden tiles, but I picked up a new shark species from 790 ft down, a Cuban dogfish.
https://biogeodb.stri.si.edu/caribbean/en/thefishes/species/2711

We came in shallower to 400 ft to try for other species. Nothing new there, but I got a nice photo upgrade for blackline tilefish. These guys are very tasty, similar to ocean whitefish, but I think better.

Species fishing can get pretty weird. We found a small abandoned dinghy about 10 miles out that had some tiny fish in it.

We couldn't get them to bite on our micro gear, so eventually I netted them with the bait net to see what they were. There was a juvenile grey triggerfish and about a dozen freckled driftfish. I added the driftfish to my list of species to try for next time. :)

We also saw some man-o-war fish, which live under the tentacles of Portuguese man-o-wars, and a really crazy looking juvenile flying fish that was camouflaged under a piece of drifting sargassum seaweed. We might have to dedicate a full day to looking for pelagic micros on a good calm day. ;D

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
Re: Cuban dogfish and other Florida oddballs
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2022, 12:30:24 PM »
Will you ship the dingy?

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2022, 02:17:14 PM »
Sweet fish Ben!  I love that little trigger and you said they were floating in the boat?

Hopefully you took the dingy home, as that's a good score as it looks like it's really good shape.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2022, 07:29:31 AM »
Would have been something else to get a new species out of that dinghy. Cool stuff.

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2022, 08:29:03 AM »
Hopefully you took the dingy home, as that's a good score as it looks like it's really good shape.

Will you ship the dingy?

We left it out there.  :-[

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2022, 03:04:23 PM »
As always, great pictures Ben...............
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect