Author Topic: Quick Report from SD 2/12  (Read 1941 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Quick Report from SD 2/12
« on: February 13, 2022, 01:28:04 AM »
Moved from Harbor City to Westminster in part to be closer to the OC beaches and harbors I've been fishing so regularly. Go figure that my first trip since my switching of counties is to the NEXT county south: SD. Grass is always greener!

One or more of ya'll might have given me some intel a while back on where to go when I'm in the area, so I went with Jared and Kyle over that-a-way. Ended up having trouble with parking so I know we did it wrong. Ended up at another spot with issue-free parking. On the sand about 19:40 and fished until 22:40 without a bite between us. Used mostly mackerel and I switched to croaker at the end. Mild kelp, nice gentle Santa Ana keeping us warm.

I've been out half a dozen times with these two guys as they get their bearing with surf sharking, and only the first trip did we put anything on the sand. We really need to change our luck soon. Gonna scout some fresh (more local) spots in the coming weeks.

Oh! And I know I mentioned that we went on a steelhead trip a few weeks ago and I never wrote a report. Mostly because it was 2 jam packed days of fishing with no bites. Didn't even take many pics so it wasn't worth much to relive the frustration via unabridged summation.

Luck's gotta change soon!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 01:30:39 AM by jrodda »

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Report from SD 2/12
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2022, 07:15:01 AM »
 You gotta spit on your bait ;D ;D Sounds like you need to hang out with Tom and Steve, they are the Masters when it come to Sharking ;)

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2022, 10:48:45 AM »
It's crazy how slow it is for some of us and how on fire others consistently are :)! Hopefully you can poach Tom and Squatch's spot one of these days!

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2022, 04:37:03 AM »
It's always tough fishing a new area, you'll get it wired in no time Jeremy.  I'm rooting for you my friend
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2022, 06:03:44 AM »
I wish I could tell you it's been hot down here, but I'm stumped where all the sharks have gone!  I don't even remember the last time I caught a Leopard Shark.  I seriously caught more Great Whites this year than Leopards!

Keep on keeping on Jeremy!  Someone is bound to break out of this rut we're all in!

Thanks for the report
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Dark_Knight_9C1

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2022, 08:09:49 AM »
I'm at Doheny Beach camping. It was quite at the beach except for one unexpected bite. Fishing mackerel for batrays got something on the line which seemed like a batray at fist and then felt a tail hit the line. 30 seconds later the line snapped. Pulled it in and I got bit off at the mono leader. My wife said she saw a shark break the surface while I was running down to get my pole. Oh well. Another lost to not being prepared.
I usually fish just south of Doheny at Capistrano beach. Caught lots of batray there and hooked into a few sharks which broke off. I'm 0 for 7 now.

-Keith

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2022, 09:49:17 AM »
I'm at Doheny Beach camping. It was quite at the beach except for one unexpected bite. Fishing mackerel for batrays got something on the line which seemed like a batray at fist and then felt a tail hit the line. 30 seconds later the line snapped. Pulled it in and I got bit off at the mono leader. My wife said she saw a shark break the surface while I was running down to get my pole. Oh well. Another lost to not being prepared.
I usually fish just south of Doheny at Capistrano beach. Caught lots of batray there and hooked into a few sharks which broke off. I'm 0 for 7 now.

-Keith

Capistrano/Doheny is on my list of spots to try, your breaking sharks off will put it higher on my priorities. From your profile of it, sounds like it’s gonna be the area for bat night. I remember going there once about 15 years ago for an SCSF fish-off so it’ll be cool to be back.