Author Topic: Ensenada Trippin'  (Read 2091 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Ensenada Trippin'
« on: December 11, 2021, 10:14:07 PM »
Got back last night from a trip with my lady down to Ensenada. Stayed in a nice little condo villa thing right on the water in El Sauzal for $100 a night via AirBnB. Realized on arrival that we didn't actually have access to the water as the place was built up on a 20' tall seawall, which was disappointing for my fishing brain, but it was still really nice hear the waves and see the water from the bedroom.

Had mulitas from El Trailero on the 1 highway, right up the street from our pad. We've had mulitas in LA that were maybe 6" wide, so we ordered 4 for the two of us. Turned out that each one filled a whole plate. So it turned into 2 nights of dinner. Still excellent both nights.

Next day we went into Ensenada and got coffee at a modern little joint, then headed to the beach next to downtown.

This pic almost makes it look like a tropical kind of rain, with the cabana feeding the imagination. It was a bit of a rainy day, but temps were in the high 50s. Not sexy Mexico vacation weather, but still nice while dressed warm.

I did fish at the beach here with an LCFM for about an hour, trying various angles in the light swell. Had a halibut vibe but I only got one short bite. If I had more than those 2 sentences for the fishing I would have put this whole thing in the shore reports, but alas

We went across the street at Prieta Linda Restaurante for fish tacos, and threw on a pulpo (octopus) tostada for good measure. Real nice and fresh flavors.

On our last morning, we decided to check out the Centro Estatal De Las Artes (State Center for the Arts) which was pretty much a single room that had some natural history stuff, some state history, and a few local art pieces. Pretty quick 15 minute run through there.

Stopped at Tacos Fenix for our last fish tacos, then ate them on the hood of the car somewhere along the 1, north of Sauzal.

The line for the border took us 4 hours to get through. We almost bought a puppy.

Very refreshing trip despite inclement weather and a lack of fish. Thinking a road trip to Puerto Peñasco will be in the works soon. San Quintin may be in order as well. Might take the Mosquito down there if I ever get the outboard back. Need to work on my Spanish a little more. I get lost halfway through every interaction I have with cashiers, waiters, security guards, etc. Gotta hit the Duo Lingo hard the next couple months.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Ensenada Trippin'
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2021, 06:43:45 AM »
 Wow, looks like the food was great 8) Haven't seen a Coke bottle in a long while. That place looked perfect for your Mosquito, calm water and easy access. Time to brush up on your Spanish and get some intel on the local fishing grounds. Nice trip 8)

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2021, 07:48:21 AM »
Looks great.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2021, 10:18:28 AM »
Need to work on my Spanish a little more. I get lost halfway through every interaction I have with cashiers, waiters, security guards, etc. Gotta hit the Duo Lingo hard the next couple months.

No kidding.  I've been hitting the Duo Lingo this past year and do quite well, until I'm in a real conversation and find myself lost as well.

Great write up Jeremy and great food shots.  Bummer about the chilly and rainy weather and lack of fishing opportunities.  Down the road from Ensenada, about 50 minutes is Castro's Fish Camp in Eréndira.  Coyote Cal's is a great little hostel near by and some great fishing, both shore and boat. 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Castros+Fishings+Place+Pesca/@31.286148,-116.3984756,3593m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x5d01221b060c1a5f!8m2!3d31.286148!4d-116.3984756

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2021, 03:36:19 AM »
Looks like a fun trip, awesome food
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect