Author Topic: One is Enough 12/6  (Read 1978 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
One is Enough 12/6
« on: December 11, 2021, 09:06:09 PM »
Obviously a late report, got busy all week with a vacation.

Needed to get out of my house for a night, so decided to finally try fishing Newport Back Bay. Arrived about 2030 in the middle of the incoming tide, light breeze in my face but not too cold.

Used small chunks of squid on a c-rig with a 3oz sputnik. Wasn't always holding but it worked out.

Got a perchy kind of bite within 10 minutes of arrival, seemed like it was hanging onto the circle hook so I wound up on it and my rig broke at the swivel and I lost everything. On a perch bite that's very upsetting. But I knew that knot was tied too long ago so chalk it up to laziness.

Retied with a 6# leader and first cast with that got a backlash, rig came crashing down to earth violently, and 6# was irreparably tangled in the sputnik. Woof.........Went back to a 15# leader.

By now the weeds had really started to move in, which made using my mini sand spike impossible. Finally after 20 minutes of catching hella weeds, I learned my lesson to just hold the rod in my hands to keep the line out of the water. And as soon as I did, I was rewarded with a biter.

Round Stingray, species #116. This is one I've found strange that it's taken so long to catch.

Proceeded to catch another a few casts later. They are no longer welcome in my life.

Stopped getting bites after that and was only pulling in weeds every cast. Gave it up and headed for the barn.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: One is Enough 12/6
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2021, 02:36:47 AM »
Congrats on the new species.  A wise man once told me, "Never start a new session with old knots"........   8)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2021, 06:31:26 AM »
 No longer welcome in your life, did you get stung ? Hopefully not, at least you know the squid works :)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2021, 10:09:46 AM »
Congrats on the new species Jeremy.  Just a note, don't grab the hook with needle nose and try to shake them off.  Their stinger is far down the tail and have got me a few times when I thought I could shake them loose.

How did the c-rig and sputnik work out?  I used to get tangled up in the arms, so haven't tried it that way in a long time.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 10:19:03 AM by Latimeria »
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2021, 11:00:20 AM »
Congrats on the new species Jeremy.  Just a note, don't grab the hook with needle nose and try to shake them off.  Their stinger is far down the tail and have got me a few times when I thought I could shake them loose.

How did the c-rig and sputnik work out?  I used to get tangled up in the arms, so haven't tried it that way in a long time.

Yeah i noticed quickly that you can pretty much only handle them with pliers because of that stinger having so much range.

I’ve been trying the sputnik on the c-rig for a few sessions and using stiffer leaders helps a lot, wire or 40+ is surefire. The 15# floro gets me by in the calmer water.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2021, 11:02:39 AM »
No longer welcome in your life, did you get stung ? Hopefully not, at least you know the squid works :)

Didn’t get stung but they don’t fight at all and they seem more dangerous than other rays so it’s a liability, plus they just take time away from other harder fighting critters and new species.

Think I’ll hit the area again for diamond turbot soon. Don’t know if turbots like a certain bait over another, I imagine ghost shrimp could get it done.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2021, 12:22:12 PM »
I’ve caught turbot on ghost shrimp. Tiny mouths on them.

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2021, 07:02:22 AM »
Oh my gosh, how did you avoid round rays this long?