Author Topic: Tuesday Night Tides (11/16)  (Read 1683 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Tuesday Night Tides (11/16)
« on: November 17, 2021, 05:42:18 AM »
Finally went down to the surf after work since the time change happened.  We got wind of a bunch of positive ID sightings of Great Whites in 4 areas by locals.
I decided to make a long run checking on beach conditions before heading to the bar to meet up with Squatch. 

There were some pounding sets, but overall not bad.  Pretty much rolled by TP and Delmar.  No parking, so I just did some quick scans and saw spotty weed clumps on the beach.  Also saw some nasty Red Tide.  Looked at two spots in Solana in which one was loaded with salad and red tide and the other looked good, but really reefy.  Moved up through Cardiff checking out 4 spots along the way.  2 of the 4 spots looked good, but the other two lacked sand and/or covered with purple death.  Got up to check a spot in Encinitas to see what looked okay, but real estate issues.  Took some pics along the way to give me some better ideas of what a lower tide looked like.

Met up with Steve and saw a bunch of the old workers are still there!  Haven't been in this place in almost 2 years, so it was good to see the boys again.
Ate tasty burgers and drank some fine beers before heading down to set up.   

Went down as the surfers were coming off the water and set up.  Conditions just looked right!  Clean water, nice surf and great structure!

As it started getting dark, we realized that the red tide was here, but just not thick.  Water looked good, so kind of surprised how much light was getting turned on from the waves and wash.

Squatch gets on the board sort of with a round ray, but our baits were basically coming back clean.

I kept rigging up bigger baits in hopes to run into the tax man, but could barely get a corner squished on these morsels.  I don't know if it was the red tide, or the whites scared everything off?

About 5 hours into fishing, we called it quits.  Blue light was cool to see, but lack of fish was frustrating.  Oh well, next time!

Thanks for reading.

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Tuesday Night Tides (11/16)
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2021, 06:43:09 AM »
The Tax Man had other plans, hopefully next week you will get to meet him :)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2021, 02:11:14 PM »
Good effort, hope the whites stick around for a minute for a successful trip on them. Cool glowing wave pic!

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2021, 05:12:53 PM »
Always look forward to reading your Tues night session on Wed mornings.  Thanks for sharing
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2021, 09:39:26 PM »
Fishing has always been difficult for me during red tides. Appreciate all the intel you added to this report.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)