Author Topic: More Bait Hunting - South Bay 11/10  (Read 1742 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
More Bait Hunting - South Bay 11/10
« on: November 10, 2021, 02:57:37 PM »
Got back out to Torrance today for a midday session 1130-1330. Swell seemed like 3-4' sets at 7 seconds, occasional 5-6'ers in the mix. Just barely keeping contact with with a 3/4oz slider. Kelp was unmanageable on the south side of the beach but as I walked north I got out of it for the most part.

Holes had a nice milky color to them. I could see birds working from the road and it looked more intense from shore. Got real close to casting range once with terns dive bombing in quick session and in awesome density.

Too much stray weeds otherwise I would have thrown a KM.

Managed 1 YFC on the c-rig, though. Still collecting bait for sharking trips so he's the first YFC I've ever kept. Perfect size to chunk up.

I would think twice about sharking in those kinds of conditions, but I'm thinking of hitting the OC Thursday or Friday night where it looks like it'll be 2-3' at 10-12 seconds. Maybe scout with light tackle in the daytime to make sure weeds/red tide are no issue.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: More Bait Hunting - South Bay 11/10
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2021, 04:51:32 PM »
We're heading to Hermosa Pier in the morning, hoping to find mackerel for bait.  We struck out at Malibu Pier Monday.................

Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2021, 05:31:44 PM »
We're heading to Hermosa Pier in the morning, hoping to find mackerel for bait.  We struck out at Malibu Pier Monday.................

Good luck, lemme know if you find 'em. With the amount of bait in the water today there must still be some macs mixed into the area.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2021, 05:39:35 AM »
I would think twice about sharking in those kinds of conditions, but I'm thinking of hitting the OC Thursday or Friday night where it looks like it'll be 2-3' at 10-12 seconds. Maybe scout with light tackle in the daytime to make sure weeds/red tide are no issue.

That's a perfect sized YFC for bait.  There was one year that I was catching everything on Corbina, YFC, and Blue Perch...  Not sure why or if that was just the bait I had handy, but it's always good to have some fresh frozen bait (if not just fresh) ready to use at a moments notice.

Also, great call on doing a scouting mission.  Steve and I used to do them all the time and drive up and down the coast until we found a clean beach to fish.  Nothing worse than getting where you're going, all set up, and after one cast calling it the night. 

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2021, 09:03:50 AM »
Redondo pier is usually loaded with Macs this time of year and there should be a decent number of bones in Kings Harbor right next to it. Those are my go to's for bait, not just in South Bay but make the trip from up here in VC since it's a super consistent producer. Hope you hang something big and toothy on that YFC!