Author Topic: Birthday Bass'in (2/22)  (Read 15949 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Birthday Bass'in (2/22)
« on: February 22, 2015, 08:12:32 PM »
As birthday's go, it was  a whirl wind of a day.  Lot's going on but I told myself I was going fishing and was going to resort to the bay.  Long story short, but I had a great day on the bass today.  6 in the back bay, 4 by the bridges and 10 in the channel!  Hard baits and plastics were the ticket with something bright colored since the water was quite turbid.

My nomination for tiniest bass of the year!  I may put up a contest for this...

I hit my hali hole and picked up 3 butts.  Well, I boated 2, a 16 and 18 inch respectively and unbuttoned one a few feet from the boat.  It looked to be a small legal, maybe 24.  Oh well.

Now for the frustrating part...  I went to Dana to meet up with someone that was buying my Squall.  I walked up the ramp to meet him and make the transaction.  When I was walking down, I saw a lot of bird activity at my boat and heard a big splash!  I hobbled as fast as my back could take me to see the wake of the rod and reel in the water with the pelican flying away.  The fugger got one of those sharp ass hooks in his bill and took off.  My rod was in the rod holder, but he ripped it out and dumped it somewhere.  I tried for 2 hours scouring the area with a weighted treble for nada.  I'm going to try again tomorrow.

Nothing "Super" great, but it is my Calcutta 201 and I'm super bummed It was donated to the sea via a big dumb ass bird.  Oh well, Hopefully I'll be able to recover it.

Back is jacked today.  Going in the bay did not do it any favors and I'm pretty sure I will be sitting it out at the bat fight unless I could rig up a gimbal to the folding chair!  Ha!  lol

Anyway, I survived and kept my "Birthday Fishing" trips alive and well!

Fish on guys!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

j.rasta

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Birthday Bass'in (2/22)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 08:20:56 PM »
Nice work boss! Sucks about the back, rod and lost fish... jus don't do anything crazy and you should be good, seriously take it easy bro, don't wanna see u outta commission too long. Happy bday again and get well soon!

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 12:06:17 AM »
Happy birthday man! Those bass always think with their mouths eh? Sucks about the rod, but you may find it! I caught my buddies lost LC after two weeks floating around in Ventura Harbor, and found one of my fishing rods laying in some rocks near a beach a week after it had washed out, may lady luck be with you!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 08:01:35 AM »
Thanks boss. I made an official snag rig to try for it after my PT appointment.  I could use a bit of good luck and hopefully King Neptune will look kindly upon me.   :D

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 01:34:07 PM »
Ghah! sorry to hear about the rod. Damn birds  >:( >:(

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 04:11:11 PM »
I tied up a triple treble and linked it to a 3oz weight last night.  I was going to see if I could snag up my reel after 24 hours in the drink.

Made about 50 casts and all I could come up with is tones of grass which was making it almost impossible.  I made a much further cast than I thought it would be and... I couldn't believe it!  Money!

What a weight off my shoulders.  I never saw it go in, only a possible wake from the splash yesterday, so I didn't have a ton of hope,

What a beautiful sight it was!

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 04:58:25 PM »
That's classic !!

Great catch TOM!!!  8) 8) 8) ;D ;D ;D

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 11:06:27 AM »
Fortune smiles upon thee!

raychavez91

• Leopard
  • moderator's look up to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 07:55:46 PM »
That's freakin badass man lol

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 09:16:31 PM »
Holy crap, that's so cool. Glad u got it back :)