Author Topic: New Reel Has Some Juju! 11/4  (Read 2109 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
New Reel Has Some Juju! 11/4
« on: November 04, 2021, 06:49:49 PM »
Accidentally ("accidentally") won a Calcutta 250 on eBay last week. Sold for way less than I thought it would. So I had to test to see if it would beat my Curado 200e5 for a job throwing crankbaits in the lineup. Gotta sell one. So I went down to Long Beach to throw the LCFM to see how I liked the Calcutta. Loaded it with 30# 8 strand braid and off I went.

Arrived at about 1100. 1st cast was easy as hell, even with dry line. I was immediately in a rhythm. But after catching 3 White Sea Bags and countless other pieces of trash and tule reeds from the LA River, I felt like I could do better as far as location. Also noticed the drag was pretty sticky, so I'll need to order some carbon drags. After 40 minutes of every other cast coming back with junk I took off south.

Couple miles south I thought I saw birds diving from the road, so I stopped to check it out. Not crazy bird action, but every now and then a pelican was diving 100 yards or so offshore. Tasty stuff.

40 minutes in, I was playing with my retrieve style, and decided to just pull the LC through the water enough to feel one headshake and let it stop/drift forward. Kept doing that and then got bit. Started coming at me but I caught up with it. Pancake! First halibut in 10 years or so, I wanna say.

Made half dozen more casts in that spot looking for its buddies. Nothin' so I kept moving. 15 minutes later I get stopped and ZZZ wild headshakes, oh f##k this has mass. It settles down after a 20 yard run, tough to turn its head. Is this a 30"+er? Big adrenaline rush, focusing in. I have a 15# leader but that doesn't feel like much right now with the sticky drag coming into play. Then it takes a longer run....ahh..probably a good size bat. Adrenaline wears off and I start getting back some line. After a little under 10 minutes, I'm looking for that stupid rat tail to pop out, and then I see spots. Leo. Pretty good one. Start walking parallel to shore and trying to work it close enough to grab, but it's just not getting past the drop-off. 15 minutes in and it gets the energy back to make a 30 yard run. Woof. Slowly work it back, then I start walking it down the beach, looking for the ledge to not be so steep so I can land it, hoping at some point it gets within arm's reach. At the 30 minute mark, I finally see an opportunity. I get one hand on its tail and it's too thick and heavy to grab with one hand, so I use my other hand still holding the rod. I get a grip and start walking backwards and start yelling at it, "I GOT you. I F##king GOT you." And then I dropped my rod while I was still in the water, so I had to let go and grab the rod. I go back to grab the leo and as I touch its tail, it darts off. I don't got em. !#$#$!#$. Still hooked up but I was SO close to ending this ridiculous battle.

So it goes for another 40 yard run, and then I slowly start getting line back on it. Then I'm finally starting to see that I'm coming into shallow enough water where I should be able to grab it again. But man it does NOT wanna come in, and it's so heavy, and the fact that there aren't any real waves isn't helping. Finally I get another shot. Arms are so tired. Get one hand on it, get the rod under my arm, get two hands on it. Push push push up the sand. Get it on dry sand and it twists and rips its way out of my hands. This thing will not give up. Finally step back and look at it, wow that's a big ass leopard.

59" and at least 40lbs. Hooked in the armpit of the pectoral fin.

After pics, I threw it over my shoulder and took my time in the water with it for a good release. That's probably my longest battle with a fish.

That was a good test drive. I was uncomfortably wet and sandy after that, and so was the reel, so I got In N Out and went home. Been a long time since I had such a memorable day on light tackle in the surf.

And I think I'll be selling the Curado.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 07:26:50 PM by jrodda »

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: New Reel Has Some Juju! 11/4
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2021, 08:29:24 PM »
 Nice workout for you and Mr. Leo :) Good looking reel too 8)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2021, 02:55:44 AM »
Great write up and fun read Jeremy, 59" is a big kitty on any gear............
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Dark_Knight_9C1

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2021, 05:05:40 AM »
Awesome Leo. Great story.  8)

-Keitj

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2021, 04:25:16 PM »
That was a great read! That's a helluva leo on the halibut rod.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2021, 07:39:22 AM »
Damn!  What a way to break in the new reel!  (and selling it now?!?!?!  hahahahaha)  I have a Curado 250 like that, but my handle is on the other side.   ;D
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2021, 08:12:56 AM »
Damn!  What a way to break in the new reel!  (and selling it now?!?!?!  hahahahaha)  I have a Curado 250 like that, but my handle is on the other side.   ;D

Keeping the new calcutta, selling my old green curado. Accepting offers….

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2021, 08:29:03 AM »

Keeping the new calcutta, selling my old green curado. Accepting offers….

Hahaha, I retired my old green curado and it's in my trophy case.  I meant to say the Calcutta as I read that wrong and thought you meant this reel!  I'm still not apparently recovered from yesterday.   :-[
You can't catch them from your computer chair.