Author Topic: 1st Trip Since Move - Quick Report 10/6  (Read 2687 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
1st Trip Since Move - Quick Report 10/6
« on: October 07, 2021, 12:25:10 PM »
Been wanting to get out and scout my new locale. It's pretty reasonable for me to shore fish anywhere from Hermosa to Newport and I want to explore every bit of that. I suppose Newport can wait, though, all things considered.

So last night I hit a beach around Alamitos. It was sheltered by the LB breakwall so I don't know if I can call it a beach with all certainty, but there was sand and I fished.

Session went from 2030-2330. 5-7kn wind in my face at the beginning and end. High tide at 2230. Some kelp in the water but it was manageable. Mac for bait. First bait came back shredded, every bait thereafter stolen. Only got one slight clicker pull, and only saw a couple bumps on the rod tip. So there was life, but not what I was looking for.

I've always imagined that area could be good for bats and leopards. Lots of new territory to explore so it might be a moment before I try there again.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: 1st Trip Since Move - Quick Report 10/6
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 02:13:24 PM »
I'm excited to see what you find trying these new areas.  Good sign with shredded bait and wouldn't cross it off my list at any point, but lots of shoreline for you to investigate. 

I'm looking forward to seeing some new ground getting checked out.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2021, 04:12:05 PM »
 New territory to figure out, always a challenge but I'm confident you will succeed  8)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2021, 11:21:07 PM »
Short drive to SD...
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2021, 12:29:44 AM »
Short drive to SD...

Ooooh it's on the menu alright.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2021, 03:48:57 AM »
When this oil spill gets settled, think about NPH.  We get live  bait at the receiver and have had incredible luck in there   8)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2021, 01:54:13 AM »
10/8

Went back to the same spot because it looked like a big short swell everywhere else. Pretty much same conditions as last time, fished 2200-2330. Dropped to a lighter rod and used squid. One cast came back empty hook but the rest came back untouched bait. Decided to go when I thought I heard a gunshot down the beach...

Got to my car and my car key wasn't in my pocket...........Prayed it wasn't in the locked trunk of the car. As I started searching through my backpack (which made absolutely no sense for it to be in. Jeans pocket, trunk, or the ether) I heard the car lock itself. It's around here somewhere!!!!!! Car unlocked before I even found the key. Popped open the trunk before the opportunity disappeared forever. Then I found it...

I must have been holding my key between a couple fingers when I stuck the water bottle in there. This is why I always do a key check before I lock the car on the way out to the beach....had to call AAA to have them break into my car once at 3am in a quiet neighborhood. Never again.

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2021, 04:45:55 PM »
That area near Long Beach is good for batrays but not too many soupies or 7gill. Probably can find a Leo or two. Great halibut fishing too, mostly shorts tho.
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2021, 07:45:53 AM »
What a terrible feeling going for your keys and not feeling them in your pocket. Glad you found it.

Sounds like a good place to get yourself some calmer water fishing when the swell's up.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2021, 01:38:14 PM »
Decided to go when I thought I heard a gunshot down the beach...

Sounds like a nice neighborhood   ;)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect