Author Topic: Heart-Ons (9/28)  (Read 2926 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Heart-Ons (9/28)
« on: September 29, 2021, 05:32:37 AM »
Tuesday Night and back in the swing of things.  Forgot my lucky necklace on Saturday and was rewarded with a skunk, so I made sure I put it on this time.

Met up at the spot at dark.  Squatch was already set up and casted out.  Surf was supposed to be 3-4 feet, but I'm sure I saw sets up to 6 feet.  I picked a side and set up next to him.  First three casts and it was weeds and/or the feeling like I evaded a snag.  Fourth cast and I was so hung up that I couldn't even break my line.  (My knots are apparently spot on)
I wrapped the line around my reel a few times since I needed something to anchor it down.  My thumb and the drag wasn't apparently good enough.  It finally rang out like a gunshot when it popped!  Lost a good 60 yards of new line and time to retie.  I forgot how much I hated retying shock leaders in the dark.

Next cast and I'm almost snagged again... Nope, not going to do it again, so I moved on the otherside of Squatch to see if it was any better.  Totally was, but I didn't get the distance I wanted due to all the missing line.

No matter.  Changed a few baits when I saw my rod tip give a big wobble.  I got up to check the rod and soon as it got in my hands started to scream line out.  FRESH ONE!

I heard Squatch in the distance "great, you stole my fish..."  lol

First thing I saw when we beached her besides being a pretty damn big soupie, was a piebald heart on her side.  I told Steve and he thought I said "She has a hard-on for you" which quickly morphed into Heart-On. 

My first ever seeing this or hearing about it.  The closest thing I had to this was a giraffe I used to take care of that had a heart shaped patch on her that helped me quickly ID her from the others.  It will be cool if we see this girl again.

Well, here's the details...
Avg 3'-4' sets, Outgoing tide, Bonito, Waning Gibbous, Female, 73" long and hefty

Off she went back to the sea, safe and sound.

Baits started to come back sushi-grade and Squatch found the patch of cabbage in front of him, so we called it quits just after 10:00.  It feels great to get back into the swing of things.

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
Re: Heart-Ons (9/28)
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 06:53:30 AM »
Nice shark !  That one will be easy to remember if it decides to play again  8) How is the shoulder holding up to the bigger grade exercise?

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2021, 06:55:03 AM »
Is your lucky necklace a hangman's knot?
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2021, 07:23:32 AM »
Good to see the usual Tuesday reports!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2021, 08:17:56 AM »
Woah! Very cool. I think we should offer up a prize to whoever can catch & release that one again.  :)

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2021, 10:07:06 AM »
Should've etched an ever so slight MOM in that heart  ;D

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2021, 02:42:49 PM »
Nice welcoming back to Tuesday, I'll be keeping an eye out for that one.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2021, 05:02:17 AM »
Super stoked and kind of jealous at the same time, my shark fishing days seem to be hard to manage with my dad in tow.  None the less, congrats Tom   :)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2021, 05:14:23 AM »
Thanks guys.  Please keep your eyes out on social media if anyone catches this shark again.  I'd love to see where it turns up.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2021, 07:44:05 AM »
Congrats Tom!
That piebald spot is really cool!  I had a piebald ball python many years ago, really cool morph!