Author Topic: Experience, NVC 08/08  (Read 1950 times)

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
Experience, NVC 08/08
« on: August 09, 2021, 10:37:17 AM »
So we switched it up and did a night time grinner hunt. Chopped salad was present but not too much of an issue, at least a couple hundred yards out. Dropped two chunks of Stingray on tri-swivel rigs and I pinned a perch Pat caught on a float rig. Pretty slow day with Pat scraping out two BSP and the stingray and BSP I sent out all went untouched, save for something that was munching on the outside of the disk. Fished from 2PM to 11PM. As we were packing up I finally got to witness a proper grunion run, thousands of the little guys invaded the beach and while it was awe inspiring to watch since I have never witnessed one so large, it made me wonder, WHERE ARE ALL THE DAMN PREDATORY FISH?! I technically didn't get skunked.

Looks like it's really time to try new spots as the honeyhole this spot used to be just doesn't seem to produce anymore. Another nice day at the beach and witnessed something pretty cool so I'll take it.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Re: Experience, NVC 08/08
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2021, 03:23:14 PM »
Yes, desirable fish don’t show up in Ventura anymore. Good 9 hour try though! Grunion runs are always cool.

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2021, 06:44:57 PM »
I will find them, and I will kill them. (sans the killing part)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2021, 07:18:22 PM »
Hahahaha, bummer about the lack of gamefish, but awesome to witness a proper grunion run. I've seen a few smaller ones, but remember my first big run about 4 years ago! So cool to see.

Find those bigger critters!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2021, 02:10:15 AM »
9 hours is a solid try, I have no idea where the game fish have gone.  Been a tough year and a half.........
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2021, 10:05:23 AM »
I wish it had only been a year and a half for me Verne! I'm going on 3 or 4 years without a solid grinner  :'(