Author Topic: Why? Just...Why?  (Read 2400 times)

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
Why? Just...Why?
« on: July 27, 2021, 10:06:22 AM »
Went to make bait yesterday, started in Ventura Harbor with plans to hit the pier if we couldn't find macs there. There weren't macs there, but I did see this.

I have seen many thornbacks thrown into the rocks at this location, which I always find pretty repulsive despite my dislike of them personally. But here we have a 2 1/2 ft horn shark just left on the rocks to die, looked pretty fresh as if it was caught overnight or that morning. It's just really sad to see both from a conservation/steward standpoint and what a bad rap it gives responsible fisherman. I can't believe there are still people, in this country especially that think that any good will come from wasting a crustacean eating shark or any part of our oceanic ecosystem. Not to mention I still need to add that one to the life list and would be happy to catch and release a specimen such as this. Rant over.

The upside is we did make two mackerel, two queenfish, probably 20+ white croaker between us, a shiner perch, and the exotic showing of a Pacific Pompano, which I cast out on my medium setup and got slammed and jacked.

Hoping to hang something nice later this week, will report!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 10:47:42 AM by SevengillTheVC »

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Why? Just...Why?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 10:19:15 AM »
That is sad.

Sounds like you have some great bait though.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 09:56:26 PM »
Hope karma comes for whoever pointlessly killed the horn shark...

Just heard the other day somebody caught a little striper in CI harbor, strange to imagine stripers and pompano overlapping in range. Did you keep the croakers/queenfish for bait as well? Might be good to cast out for halibut while you're waiting on the drone rod.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 04:50:17 AM »
Sad indeed   :(
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 05:35:59 AM »
I hate people who do that.  I've had words with the bucketeers down in MB killing baby bats because they messed up their gear while croaker fishing.  Annoying to say the least.

Otherwise, congrats on the butterfish!  They used to get them down here off the piers every summer, but I have yet to catch one.  I can't believe you are getting them so far north!  The biggest I've heard of was an 18-Inch Pompano Caught At Laguna. Not sure of the ATWR though...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 12:28:44 PM by Latimeria »
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2021, 09:04:21 AM »
One day I hope to overtake your mackerel record Tom!  ;D I kept the queenfish and macs, I've had trouble even hooking bats on the white croaker, I failed to mention we caught a few Jacksmelt one being pretty big. I have caught a sevengill on a halved smelt but mostly I feel they're avoided like the plague. The big one we caught was an immediate floater and a few seagulls unsuccessfully tried to lift it, then a pelican flew by, started an orbit and got low, saw it was a huge smelt and then flew off hahah.

Bait update from Samo area yesterday, hit up MDR, lost a few bass on live sardines (I don't like circle hooks), no bonito or mackerel. Kings harbor was dead, Redondo municipal was pretty dead but did manage to score one more mac, one more queenfish, and a nice bait sized round ray. Sharking is on the menu tomorrow or Friday!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2021, 12:30:51 PM »
My mackerel record still stands?  Ha!  I even love that record more than my IGFA ATWR Sargo that only lasted about 5 or 6 years.  I might have to peruse the record books and target a new record.  lol

I would have held the State record Sargo also, but the IGFA doesn't allow for any applicant to use the same fish for state records.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 04:24:31 PM by Latimeria »

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2021, 12:39:16 PM »
I just looked up the records and found one that a few of us have beaten just on these boards alone probably a few times.  I have a target species I'm going for now!

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2021, 01:23:57 PM »
80% of the people are stupid and they prove it everyday.

If you are in doubt as to whether it is incompetence or ignorance, pick incompetence you will be right 80% of the time.
2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2021, 01:37:00 PM »
I mean it could have somehow ended up there some other way, but the way it was on the rocks I have my doubts. If I was there to witness it I probably would've asked if they were keeping it, and if they said no, just picked it up and released it elsewhere.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2021, 04:19:20 PM »
I just looked up the records and found one that a few of us have beaten just on these boards alone probably a few times.  I have a target species I'm going for now!

I finally had to search out your posts on your record mackerel since this is the second time someone’s alluded to in a month. Can’t believe you haven’t written a 1000 word article on your battle with it.

I was looking through the records and that jack smelt record doesn’t seem too hard to break. I feel like I could get one in Ventura over 1lb 8oz on any day the bait is present if I stick to a KM on the boat.

I don’t know why they have a 1lb minimum on WSP, they should open that up and let the game of ounces begin…

Sorry for the thread jack…might be worth a new thread.

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2021, 07:00:53 PM »
I think our discussion on making baitfish records could also fall under "Why...Just Why?" as well  ;D

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2021, 08:32:11 PM »
I think our discussion on making baitfish records could also fall under "Why...Just Why?" as well  ;D

LMAO comment of the year!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2021, 05:13:04 AM »
Hahahaha, no kidding, that seemed like a perfect fit for this thread.  I'll search for the pictures later and put up a post on the mackerel story.  It was a pretty funny one that involved the Yankees/Padres pitcher, David Wells.