Author Topic: Weird Day in the Back Bay 6/25  (Read 2175 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Weird Day in the Back Bay 6/25
« on: June 25, 2021, 07:57:49 PM »
Woke up at 0500. I felt quite elated knowing I got any sleep at all, though I couldn't have gotten more than 4 hours total sleep.

Left the hotel at 0520 and got to the ramp at 0530. I was the first in the lot with a boat, so I felt good about my timing.

On the water a little after 0600 and off to find the bonefish territory. Low tide was 0530 so I expected a slow start. When I opened my cooler of ghosties to bait up, I suddenly realized that the guy at Seaforth really hooked me up with the shrimp! He must have given me 30 for the price of a dozen. Didn't realize at the shop since he just handed me a closed up little chinese paper food cup with them enclosed. Very grateful for all that extra bait.

I had some idea from my last trip on where to go, but it proved difficult finding any spots in that 6-10' depth that wasn't a grass bed. I decided to start each drift right on the edge of the grass bed in 9-10' of water and then I'd drift over the holes in the back bay, mostly fishing 10-12'.

The bites were few and far between for the first couple hours. I heard that our bonefish don't really feed coinciding with the tides, so that gave me some hope that even in the slow period with little to no bycatch, I still had a shot.

First hookup came at 0730, and I was surprised to find my first black croaker! Species #115.

I've been hoping for one on trips like this, but it seemed like the kind of fish I couldn't set any expectations for. A nice motley species to knock off. Real cool looking.

Not too long after and I put a bait thieving spotty in the boat.

Got a few more short bites, then went quiet again for a bit. Then I got a tap tap, zzZZZZZZ pop. %$#@#%# again??? Reeled up and my hook popped off. Foolish. Seemed like the right bite.

I had a sea lion following me around from a distance all morning, catching up pretty quickly when I'd move a few hundred yards to reset my drift. But I swear I saw, though can't confirm, a pretty big green sea turtle popping up every 20 minutes or so. I only got short looks at it, but I would notice out of the corner of my eye a squarer face, it had a bit different water displacement than the sea lion, and even noticed the exhaling breath sounded like it was through a bony nostril rather than a fleshy sea lion nose.

While drifting over a deeper area, I suddenly caught a glimpse of some bait puddling and extra splashing. Did a double take and heard the popping of corvina with it. In the day?? I threw my spook at it and got one to go after it but it missed. The terns were also working hard to try and grab the spook, thankfully I avoided them. The corvina dropped out after just a couple minutes and I didn't see them again.

Reset the drift and hooked up again. Another black croaker! With how the morning was shaping up, I was almost expecting another one, but it was still very strange.

The spotties started to roll in from there. Got steady action on them until I piled up 7, then the bites almost completely stopped.

As I was feeling the end of the session grow nearer, I hooked up with black croaker #3! Now THAT surprised me.

Wind was picking up quite a bit, bites were few and far between, and I was on my last couple shrimp. Decided to shoot down to the way back of the bay hoping for a sandy flat at the right depth, but couldn't find anything but grass.

Decided to get in tight to the marsh, just for a touch of bird watching. And what do I see? What do I see??? What the f#@k!

Shaking my head and laughing as I rolled up closer and closer. F#@king ridiculous.

Of course you guys have a flamingo.

Made one more move to drift and throw an underspin for 20 minutes. Got a few bumps but nothing connected. I got my fill. Packed it in, loaded up the car and began my trek through all of SoCal's Friday traffic at 2pm. Really solid, memorable trip.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 11:34:02 PM by jrodda »

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Weird Day in the Back Bay 6/25
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 09:32:23 PM »
Pretty jealous of the croakers. Caught a bunch of bonefish, but no China croakers.

Next time for sure.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2021, 03:36:36 AM »
As always Jeremy, great write up and fun to read.  Thanks for sharing
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2021, 08:05:01 AM »
A pink flamingo used to hang out in the lagoon at the 5 & 78 freeway years ago, pretty cool 8) At least you got a new specie, hopefully you will get the bonefish soon  :)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2021, 08:07:28 PM »
Pretty jealous of the croakers. Caught a bunch of bonefish, but no China croakers.

Next time for sure.

I think I'll be down again in August, by then I should be moved into the Torrance area and I'll take the longer morning drive over the hotel stay.

Really though, if I heard somebody mention all this at the dock, I'd call bullsh!t. 3 china croakers, and a flamingo? You're on drugs, bro.

Just did some quick research on the green turtles in San Diego and apparently there are approximately 60 of them in the back bay that reside there when they aren't nesting in Mexico. The largest that's been recorded there was 540lbs. Makes sense that I wasn't sure if it was a turtle or a sea lion.

My dad nodded his head as I mentioned the flamingo. His bird watching FB group posts about it on occasion. I guess it's lived in the back bay since Valentine's Day 2018.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 08:56:19 PM by jrodda »

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2021, 08:30:06 PM »
Right on. That’s the first I’ve heard about the flamingo, but the turtles are a pretty common sighting back there.

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2021, 08:54:34 PM »
Never seen a wild flamingo before. Used to work next to them at Sea World.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2021, 09:00:29 PM »
Never seen a wild flamingo before. Used to work next to them at Sea World.

I'm fairly certain this one was formerly captive, either as from a private collection or the zoo/Sea World. After I saw it and left to mind my own, I wondered whether or not it was totally wild, so I went back just to charge it with my boat and see if it would fly. For science!!!

It glided a short ways and it didn't look very strong in flight, so I think it was clipped and formerly captive.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2021, 07:01:53 AM »
Lots of sea turtles back there.  I see them about every other trip when I'm down there and it sounds exactly how I usually know they are there.

So cool to see/get some less obvious stuff from SD bay.  I have to admit, I've only thought I've seen a flamingo down there before, but never got close enough to confirm.  The china croaker always seem to come in waves down there.  My last "family trip", my wife, daughter and myself got 6 in a few hours which seemed weird to me.

Glad things are working out with the sled and you'll find the bonefish soon enough.  I haven't targeted them in a bit, but only have gotten them as bycatch.  If I can ever get my boat working right again, I'll probably give them a proper shot and target them again.  :)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.