Author Topic: Consolation Prize 6/19  (Read 1735 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Consolation Prize 6/19
« on: June 19, 2021, 05:51:01 PM »
My pal with the boat had to cancel because his achilles is giving him trouble, so I tried again for threshers today. Launched out of Huntington Harbor for the first time. In the water about 0730 and out of the harbor by 0800. 66º water temp, flat water, no sun all day.

Tough finding the life out there. A handful of dolphins meandering here and there, terns flying in no particular direction. After 10 miles I finally spotted a good size bait ball, and the bait looked like it was getting pushed from underneath.

Caught a mackerel on the troll just short of it, threw it on and circled the shoal for a while. Then another one or two large bait balls popped up so I bounced from one to another. Looked like all of them were getting bigger over the course of an hour. No birds were interested in them though and I wasn't seeing any good marks on the fish finder. And I wasn't catching macks off the school, I think they were small/medium sardines.

Broke away from that after my due diligence and searched a little more before throwing in the towel on the threshers. I figured I'd either try Izor's reef a few miles away and see if the bass or barracuda are around, though all I had were 3 dead mackerel and surface irons, or work my way back up the coast and try some drifts for halibut. I figured everyone and their extended family would be at Izor's so I opted for the latter.

Didn't really pay off. Bounce balling wasn't really working with the gear I had on hand, so I went and checked out a couple boulders in 20-30' of water, and drifted around them.

I noticed some perch schools below the boat and just had to get an ID on them, so I tipped my sabiki with mackerel fillets and got one of them right off the bat. Halfmoon, new species #114.

One of those fish I'm kinda surprised I haven't gotten before, so it's nice to scratch it off, but arguably regrettable with the copious amounts of s#it it uncorked into the boat.

While unhooking it I suddenly got hit with a lot of wooziness, then realized that the wind swell had picked up so I was bobbling around quite a bit. Wasn't into it so I headed in. Got soaked in that 20 minute ride back.

Back at the ramp, an older gentleman was watching the boats launch and land. He complimented my rig and then mentioned that people were getting log barracuda at Izor's today. Agh! I'm sure he just talked to like one person who caught one barely legal cuda, but the whole drive home I'm shaking my head and wishing I went and threw some iron over there. Oh well, grass is always greener. Threshers soon.

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
Re: Consolation Prize 6/19
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2021, 10:28:35 PM »
Finding your own fish can be a gamble but the success is worth it when it happens. Congrats on the new species.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2021, 03:37:48 AM »
Bummer the island trip with your buddy didn't work out.  Thanks for sharing Jeremy, always enjoy reading your posts   :)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2021, 07:29:13 AM »
One of those fish I'm kinda surprised I haven't gotten before, so it's nice to scratch it off, but arguably regrettable with the copious amounts of s#it it uncorked into the boat.
Hahahaha, I really have fun catching blue perch, but they do have an aroma and poop like the mad sh!tter when caught!  ;D

Bummer on the cuda, but we had similar fishing also.  Shoulda-Woulda-Coulda type fishing.

Looking forward to the Thresher reports.  8)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2021, 10:21:02 AM »
Bummer! At least you got a lifer!

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2021, 08:47:12 PM »
 Hopefully the  ''elusive'' Thresher shows up soon, that will be quite a battle and fun ride on your boat 8) 8)