Author Topic: Quick Local Morning Trip (6/12)  (Read 2580 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Quick Local Morning Trip (6/12)
« on: June 13, 2021, 09:51:00 AM »
Plan A was to catch macks and drift for Butt or drop for ling....  No real Plan B.

Early morning start.

Weather called for short period swell and possible windy conditions so we stayed close to home.  Bait was EVERYWHERE!!!  Except they were only sardines and could only manage two on the sabiki.  No real fish marks at all, just sardines all over.   
We tried our usual bass spot, but it was dry and fish were hard to come by.  Later I heard the Dolphin has been raping that spot for 2 weeks so our favorite spot has now been decimated until it can recoup from that onslaught.

We tried multiple spots with plastics, but only got short bites, so I would switch up to a 2oz jig while Steve went with a 3-way to look for triggers.  At this point it was pretty much wide open on small to medium rockfish.

Lots of Browns, albeit not very big.

Tons of Gopher Rockfish.... I mean I only took a few pics of them but it was almost always a Gopher.  (A few Johnny Bass also came up)

The only thing that was more numerous than the Gophers was the Treefish!  Holy crap, when you were reeling up, you had a better than 75% chance it would be a Treefish or Gopher.  We let all the treefish go but one as the females were all spitting eggs.

Of all the rockfish, the Trees were all twice the size of the typical brown and gophers.

The bait stealers were out in force and finally hooked one of them.  Such pretty fish though.

We made another move looking for kelp and bass.  We found both, but only manages smedium sized turd rollers.  All were dark with bright orange cheeks, so I'm guessing they were in breeding colors.  These guys were taking the plastics finally.

The wind started to kick up and the sun burnt through, but the bass bite was pretty slow in general.  Once again, all Turds.

Made a final move and just started throwing plastics, irons, jigs, droppers, and whatever we had.  Of course a Rattlesnake made a showing.

I think Steve caught 5 or 6 sheepshead (all released)

We passed my buddy Randy a few times bounce balling for halibut, but no luck for him this day.

Got a few more turds...

...Before finally getting our first Calico of the day!  Holy crap!  Where did they all go???

I finally get a good bite and it's fighting all the way up.  I was pretty sure it was a decent sheepshead or even calico, but a big old poor-mans yellowtail made a showing!

We must have gotten 50 or 60 fish today with 3/4 of them being on the small side, but had steady action and there were some quality ones in the mix.  We decided to just drift a bit instead of Spot-Lock and were getting plucked like crazy!  I finally got one of the bastards and realized what was stealing all of our baits....

Damn Rock Wrasse....  Swarms of them on the bottom as per the sonar.

Well, that was it.  A good numbers and species count day, but nothing to write home about.  Until next time!

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Local Morning Trip (6/12)
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 10:39:08 AM »
Great picture of Randy. He should be stoked.

Another fun trip for sure.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 03:52:14 PM »
Sounds like a real fun day on the water. Enough decent fish to keep you on your toes  and a ton of variety.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 09:46:01 PM »
Looks like fun and not too brutal on the shoulder 8) I almost went out with the kids today but decided to hit it mid week instead, glad you guys had fun :)

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2021, 02:41:37 AM »
All in all guys, it looks like you had fun.  Great pictures
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2021, 05:46:45 AM »
Looks like fun and not too brutal on the shoulder 8) I almost went out with the kids today but decided to hit it mid week instead, glad you guys had fun :)

It's not worth going on the weekends if you can help it.  It's nuts out there.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2021, 05:47:50 AM »
Thanks guys

KogaHead

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2021, 10:30:59 AM »
Every year fishing seems to gets worse for the species we all love. Smaller and fewer.

Someday everyone will wake up and say WTF?

Warmer water fish will invade SoCal, and the local fish will move farther north.

Be catching calicos i morro bay within 5 years.

2024 Prehistoric Soul Football Champion
(Tom & Jeremy Suck!)

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2021, 05:05:52 PM »
Plan B: improvise!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2021, 06:19:41 PM »

I just a friends post on FB saying they were catching barred sand bass up there.  I didn't think much about it until now!

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2021, 05:55:58 AM »
Every year fishing seems to gets worse for the species we all love. Smaller and fewer.

Warmer water fish will invade SoCal, and the local fish will move farther north.

Here's his quote from Monterey Bay, not even Morro Bay!!! 

Pretty cool that we have California Sheephead, Calico Bass, Ocean Whitefish, Barred Sandbass and Trigger fish year around in Monterey now. How long until we have resident California Yellowtail I wonder 🤔 #warmingwaters #newspecies #residents #kayakfishing #socalspecies #delicious #whatsnext

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2021, 08:05:46 PM »

Here's his quote from Monterey Bay, not even Morro Bay!!! 

Pretty cool that we have California Sheephead, Calico Bass, Ocean Whitefish, Barred Sandbass and Trigger fish year around in Monterey now. How long until we have resident California Yellowtail I wonder 🤔 #warmingwaters #newspecies #residents #kayakfishing #socalspecies #delicious #whatsnext

#$%#@$ I see more rockfish than bass in the Ventura kelp, they skipped us for Monterey :'(

I have been wondering when patty fishing will be a regular thing on the ridge from Hueneme Canyon down and around Anacapa. Striped Marlin already call it home (and you know I've thought about it!) but tuna and pelagic yellows rarely show up in those areas.

1morecast

• Leopard
  • No Picture...It Never Happened.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2021, 10:27:18 PM »
You call them “a poor man’s yellowtail”, I call them good eats! (White fish) ;)
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)