Author Topic: Thresher Hunt Continues  (Read 1937 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Thresher Hunt Continues
« on: June 05, 2021, 07:09:09 PM »
Launched out of Newport today at that dang Dunes ramp in the back bay. My suspicions were that the birds and the bait and the sharks would be right out front of the harbor, so I launched in the back bay and idled the 40 minutes to the mouth of the harbor. Saw some small isolated schools on the sonar, but nothing inspiring.

\

3.5' swell had a long enough period today that it was nice and flat, though I was seeing those swells hit the beach in grandiose fashion all day.

Started trolling the magnum a quarter mile east of Balboa Pier, and didn't stop til a quarter mile west of Newport Pier. Reeled up and decided I'd book it north west until I saw birds. I got to Huntington Pier and was about to turn around when I finally spotted pelicans diving and dolphins thrashing. Yeeeeeeeee. Trolled through with the magnum and a sabiki with a rapala attached to the end. Caught an anchovy first, then a double on mackerel. Put both mackerel out to troll, one weighted and one fly lined. Eventually pulled up the fly line so I could have a second line in the water to keep the fresh macks coming.

No big game bites for the couple hours in that spot, but couldn't help but enjoy the weather and being entertained by consistent trolling action with the mackerel.

Started back to the harbor hoping to find something else. Found some more bait and this time I had some adjacent off-color water to work through.

No dice there either.

Got back over to the Wedge area and trolled the rest of the way to the harbor. 1300 had to get going for dad's birthday. Long slow idle back through the harbor, and a sh!t show at the ramp, which was to be expected from what I've heard.

Not thresher steaks.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 07:41:07 PM by jrodda »

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Thresher Hunt Continues
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2021, 08:21:12 PM »
I'm going to be pretty stoked when you get that T-Shark! I'm really just looking forward to seeing what you catch this summer!  I've now seen a couple of those boats on mini trailers getting towed to the ramp here around town.  They're basically popping up all over.

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Tim524

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2021, 08:23:01 PM »
Nice day on the water, we got 1 Mack and saw a few Dorks at the ramp too ::) Looks like the boat is packed, time for a bigger one ;D ;D

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2021, 09:19:16 PM »
I'm going to be pretty stoked when you get that T-Shark! I'm really just looking forward to seeing what you catch this summer!  I've now seen a couple of those boats on mini trailers getting towed to the ramp here around town.  They're basically popping up all over.

Plan is to move into LA area by August, possibly sooner as I'm suddenly being pressured by my bandmate to move ASAP. Should mean even more reports out of LA/OC/SD, but it's also possible music takes up every minute of my life when that move happens. Life of passion either way eh.

On instagram I see a lot of the Scout inflatables down in the SD area that are akin to mine. Seems like there's a small cult building over there. I saw one at Redondo the other day, and that's the first one I've seen in person besides mine.

Tim, I'm sure glad I got the 15' over any smaller size, space gets occupied real quick on such a thin hull. You can't see in the pics but I do have plenty of room to stretch my legs, or throw a thresher/YT down at my feet. ;D

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2021, 10:22:19 PM »
Looked like a nice day to cruise. I've done some house shopping on a SUP back there. Too bad I'm about 15mil short.

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2021, 12:20:22 AM »
I trolled for halibut all day and didn’t get anything. Don’t feel bad
Keep it tight

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile