Author Topic: Looking for Threshers  (Read 2081 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
Looking for Threshers
« on: May 31, 2021, 07:55:36 PM »
Chris got me hyped up on threshers, especially since he did it from a similar boat to mine. So I launched out of MDR this morning about 0900 and headed south down the coast looking for signs of bait. Took me til Hermosa Pier before I finally spotted life. Saw some dolphins thrashing about and pelicans following along. Then once I got closer the dolphins chilled out and acted like they were just kiddin' around.

Set out a dead mack anyways, rigged on a 7/0 circle and 3oz egg sinker on a wire leader. Slow trolled in a zig zag looking for something on the surface or marks. Reeled up and ran a few hundred feet and scared up a bait ball so I slow trolled for a good while longer while trying to put the sabiki into the bait ball.

Other than when I intercepted the bait a couple times, the only marks I saw all day were these, I like to think they were cuda but who knows.

Started to feel stupid here so I moved south. No signs of life around Redondo Canyon. Pretty much got a view of the water to PV and wasn't seeing any birds so I kicked it back to the Hermosa area, but the wind was picking up and I couldn't find my bait ball again. Decided to throw on a Rapala Magnum and troll a couple miles back before packing it in.

Got to the ramp about 1300. I take the outboard off at the dock and put it in my trunk before taking the boat out of the water to make things lighter and easier. Good thing I do, cuz I almost got common-deered.

Skunked because I refused to have a Plan B today. Gonna try this until I get it right.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 08:16:13 PM by jrodda »

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Threshers
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 09:10:25 PM »
 Refusing plan B is the path to glory. Sometimes it's a long path. Go for it.

Chris

• Leopard
  • Put me in coach!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2021, 12:21:12 AM »
You’ll get em. It took me 4 hours to get a bite my first try, then nothing the second and finally found them the 3rd. By the 5th trip I was able to get two to the boat. They play a little different in each area but you're in awfully deep water. You have to remember the pier guys slay them.
Keep it tight

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2021, 03:32:19 AM »
They play a little different in each area but you're in awfully deep water. You have to remember the pier guys slay them.

I'm no expert, but that's what I was thinking.  I've seen them caught when we were fishing for mackerel off the pier.
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2021, 05:23:46 AM »
Refusing plan B is the path to glory. Sometimes it's a long path. Go for it.

Exactly!

Last pic is hilarious!  Bigger Threshers mixed with makos used to be at the Carlsbad Canyon for years.  I've hooked many in the 70-90 foot depth at the kelp bed edge slow trolling for yellows, but got most of my bites less than that. 

I have no doubt you'll be posting up some thresher pics soon!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2021, 10:08:31 AM »
I was looking around in that shallower zone 100-200 yards off the beach but it was quiet over there. 70ft was just the one spot I found any life at all. Trolled the magnum through miles of the 30’ column.

Im thinking I’ll try again Saturday in a different area.

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2021, 03:35:44 PM »
Trolled the magnum through miles of the 30’ column.

I feel you bro.

xjchad

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2021, 07:32:43 AM »
Keep it up dude, you'll get 'em!