Author Topic: sturgeon fishing on the Columbia river Oregon  (Read 6019 times)

Sticks

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
sturgeon fishing on the Columbia river Oregon
« on: January 04, 2015, 10:54:16 AM »
My friend Jake and I headed out yesterday to see if we could pull a legal sturgeon from the frigged waters of the Columbia river.

Conditions were cold and wet with a rain snow mix and 15 to 20 mile an hour winds. After an hour drive up the Columbia river gorge to Hood River. We gathered our back packs and rods from the back of the truck and started or trek down a step embankment down to the rivers edge.

We fished from 7 am until 2 pm with only a few shakers (under sized fish) for our efforts. legal sturgeon for this section of the river is 38 to 54 inches. Jake had the secret bait and sauce and was able to pull 6 shakers from the cold waters. I hooked two, one was a nice fish but I farmed them both on barbless hooks.

It was a good time and hope to get back out before they shut down the retention on fish with in the next 5 or 6 weeks.

Jake with one of his fish

Cheers,
Sticks

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: sturgeon fishing on the Columbia river Oregon
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 12:56:45 PM »
You had better luck than I did on my first soak of the year. I had better weather though. I wondered how you did.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 07:51:54 AM »
Thanks for the report Sticks!  I'd be stoked with a sturgeon like that on a soaking trip.

One question, do you have to use barbless hooks up there for all sturgeon fishing?  Man, that makes it tough but well more rewarding if you get a legal to shore.  I want to see some legal ones, so get those long johns back on and go back into that crazy Oregon weather of yours ...and catch some more sturgeon!   :o ;D  lol   
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 10:54:14 AM »
Heh ... Prehistoric Soul right there  ;D

Nice going Sticks!

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 09:27:12 AM »
Heh ... Prehistoric Soul right there  ;D

Nice going Sticks!

^^ yup! Real dinosaur fishing there!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

jlwells

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 07:30:00 AM »
I was just looking at the dfg pamphlet for Washington yesterday since I'm moving up there, and it looks like sturgeon fishing is in fact barbless only.

Eric H

• Soupfin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 09:09:18 AM »
Will you be by the coast? It's beautiful there..

WheresMyBeer

• Soupfin
  • Maui no ka oi !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 10:07:15 AM »
I was just looking at the dfg pamphlet for Washington yesterday since I'm moving up there, and it looks like sturgeon fishing is in fact barbless only.

Salmon Sharks from shore  :P :P

Permanent move or just temp thing?

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 12:43:10 AM »
Washington has a healthy population of seven and six gill sharks as well, just frigidly cold water  ;D.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 06:37:06 AM »
Washington has a healthy population of seven and six gill sharks as well, just frigidly cold water  ;D.
Illegal to even target them up there though.  I had some guy from Washington get all bent when he saw a pic of me and a seven-gill on the beach.  Once I explained I was in Cali and not Washington, he chilled out.  LOL

SevengillTheVC

• Leopard
  • I don't always catch fish, but when I do....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 12:38:31 AM »
Really Tom? I know the Sixers are looked down upon. But you can watch a shark outfitter out of Willapa Bay, WA targeting 7s. But I haven't lived in WA for about 10 years now so regs have changed quite a bit. When I lived up there the first documented 6s were coming on fishermans wharf.

jlwells

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 03:12:55 PM »
I saw that guy who chartered for 7s...I wanted to look into it once I got there. Looks the primary shark that can be caught from shore is the spiney dogfish, as you cannot target the 7s or 6s according to DFG regs.

Semi permanently, I'll be there for about 3 years. I was actually wondering about salmon sharks from the surf. Any of you gentleman have any info on that?

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 03:59:55 PM »
I saw that guy who chartered for 7s...I wanted to look into it once I got there. Looks the primary shark that can be caught from shore is the spiney dogfish, as you cannot target the 7s or 6s according to DFG regs.

Semi permanently, I'll be there for about 3 years. I was actually wondering about salmon sharks from the surf. Any of you gentleman have any info on that?

No, tell us what you learn please. They are pretty rad sharks.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2015, 12:24:17 PM »

No, tell us what you learn please. They are pretty rad sharks.

Yes, I concur.  I asked some travel lodges at the FH show if they ever caught Salmon Sharks from the shore.  They all gave me a funny look and asked why I would even try for them.  Any intel would be good. (Nice salmon smolt the other day by the way)