Author Topic: 10/11 La Jolla AM  (Read 3802 times)

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
10/11 La Jolla AM
« on: October 11, 2020, 09:22:18 PM »
Thank goodness a non eventful Sunday morning ritual before heading out the door. On the sand at graylight. Easy launch thru short interval shin slappers. Decided to beeline it to the pier in search of greenbacks.

Deployed the pump and flipped on the bait tank upon arrival. Got the mini macks to swirl around the sabiki swing. It was an all you can cram day with no one else around. Made more than enough and set a heading to the West.

69° SST, morning gray, smooth seas, and a slight breeze. Picture perfect Fall conditions IMHO. Saw plenty birds sitting on the water. A couple in the air dipping thier wings out in the distance. I wanted to check out a certain area in deeper water that caught my interests. Got to the spot, dropped a mini mack down 220 feet, and got nailed. Big sand bass on a piece of rock in the middle of no man's land  :P . Tried another drift after releasing the turd roller but no love after that.

Set out to a more familiar area while towing a mack up top. No signs of yellows on the way there. An occasional bonito blitz. Got to the spot, sent a mini mack to the bottom, and invited aboard a couple of Taco Tuesday candidates. While working the bottom I had a first for me hit the hi rig. Nabbed my first pelagic ray.

Snagged would be a better term. Photo and release, sent another mini mack out on the same rig and bam... pelagic ray number 2. Smaller model. But hooked it fair and square this time.

They fight like a flooded beer can. Cool customers though both came in downside up for an easy release.

Weeded thru a few more dinks fishing the bottom rig. Smaller rockfish would absolutely rake and destroy baits. Then a bigger contender wanted to play. Made quick work and landed a legal ling cod. Taco Tuesday just got even better! By now the current and wind started pushing South fast so I made way back towards the barn.

On the way in whales, dolphin, birds, and sea lions galore. The morning mini macks turned into mondo macks and everything wanted to eat them. I think I might have caught my personal best greenback slinging the iron. Couldn't stay into the PM. The wind, current, and added commercial traps in the area were making things a little more cumbersome anyway. But plenty of lobster/shark bait if anyone needs it.

Another week another successful trip dodging the whitefish. Also no yellows but decent consolation prize. I did find a phone in knee deep water upon landing. Found it's owner soon after. Hope they can recover the data. Smoking 2 racks tomorrow. Beer to be determined.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: 10/11 La Jolla AM
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 06:13:50 AM »
Super cool report Len.  Steve and I were out yesterday and we saw a FLOTILLA of tupperware out around the corner!  Unfortunately we had some motor problems just north of the mlpa line so didn't want to go around the corner.

We saw everything you did except for the cool pelagic rays.  What did you think you had when you first hooked them?

Also, I found all of your whitefish... like a ton of them!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 08:12:21 AM »
Nice report! Those pelagic rays are so cool, and you're definitely lucky they came in easy to unhook. Mine came at me backwards with its tail swinging, haha. And congrats on the legal ling!

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 09:30:06 AM »
Super cool report Len.  Steve and I were out yesterday and we saw a FLOTILLA of tupperware out around the corner!  Unfortunately we had some motor problems just north of the mlpa line so didn't want to go around the corner.

We saw everything you did except for the cool pelagic rays.  What did you think you had when you first hooked them?

Also, I found all of your whitefish... like a ton of them!

Ah, I stayed wide and deep all morning.

The rays felt like they would pick up the bait and drop it. Turns out once you put tension on the line they swim towards you and you see nothing but slack for a few seconds.

Those whitefish need to bulk up.

Nice report! Those pelagic rays are so cool, and you're definitely lucky they came in easy to unhook. Mine came at me backwards with its tail swinging, haha. And congrats on the legal ling!

Thanks. Where's the stingers on these things? I was worried it would come swinging but surprised they didn't.

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 04:04:27 PM »

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 06:39:40 PM »
Yikes! Thanks for the pic. These 2 were concealed carry. That or my eyes are catching up to my age.

Forgot to take out the ribs. Taco Monday it is. Tomorrow break out a new BBQ sauce.

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2020, 03:24:00 AM »
Sounds like fun, and congrats on the ling.  We haven't seen any mackerel up this way in months   :(
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect