Author Topic: 9/13 La Jolla AM  (Read 2309 times)

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
9/13 La Jolla AM
« on: September 15, 2020, 08:43:36 PM »
Sun's getting up a bit later everyday. On the sand at the usual time but this week in almost full darkness. Thumbnail shaped moon shining through the haze providing just enough glow to see short interval 2fters breaking at the exposed low tide sandbar. Took a wave to the shorts but kept the beard dry.

Beelined it to the pier with graylight peeking behind Mt. Soledad. Complete 180 from last week with the bait offerings. Scratch fishing for greenbacks. Landed a pancake halibut which was my cue to leave for greener pastures.

Made it to the condo where the micro bonito and larger greenbacks were making a show for the plastic navy. 70-71° SST, a mild breeze, and more hazyness. Actually felt like fall fishing but with summer crowds. Radio battery died. No comedy on channel 72 today I guess.

Started trolling around metering all sorts of bait but many schools lockjawed. Ran into a flurry of calicos in deeper structure again. Many looking post spawn with faded checkers. And of course I hook into a random but obligatory whitefish.

Had a tug on the troll rod mid morning. It dropped it so I let out line hoping it circle around again. It picked it up again so I let it run a for a bit. Thumbed my spool and it dropped it again. Mack felt dead so I slow wind it back. It gets picked up and dropped. It did this a few more times until about 20ft out it takes it and runs. Quick fight later I bring to the surface and see it's the wrong color. Ended up being a baby mako. Young shark and already had the parasites on it's dorsal fin. Took some quick pics to show the kids then it does a self release alongside the hull.

More trolling separating myself from the crowd. Not much life out west. Did see a sea turtle. First one of the year. But it's been almost impossible to snap a pic before they high tail it. Sea lions were on the kayakers today. Got jacked once then stalked for a bit after that. Dropped an iron in it's face and it left me alone after that. Paddled back in front of the condo where small floatilla of skiffs were anchored. They were having at it on the smaller bonito.

Back on the sand by lunch to meet the first DFW survey taker of the season. Quick chat and learned no real trophies to talk about from other anglers. New guy probably getting some field experience before the lobster friendzy gets started.

No smoked meat action Sunday as kid has sports in the evenings. Monday made quick work of some bonito and  tritip then started binge watching Cobra Kai. Now I'm on some 80's nostalgia kick. Lord help me.  ;D

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: 9/13 La Jolla AM
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 06:21:05 AM »
Monday made quick work of some bonito and  tritip then started binge watching Cobra Kai. Now I'm on some 80's nostalgia kick. Lord help me.  ;D
hahahahahahaha

Nice trip Len.  What, no Whitefish at all?   ;D

I hear you about the fall.  I love fall fishing, but this is not your typical fall with so many people being home!  I'm not going out on a weekend again until it gets so cold it scares off the wannabees.  I need to stock up on some small bonito for surf shark season.  That's the best baits bar none for Sevengills.  I guess I should have went to LJ on Sunday instead.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 12:51:46 PM »
I did get one whitefish.

Micro bonito have been there just west of the reserve line for weeks now. There's a new wave of bigger ones marching across the border. Hopefully they invade the Jewel soon. I can welcome bycatch that actuallys pulls.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2020, 09:17:46 AM »
I did get one whitefish.

Micro bonito have been there just west of the reserve line for weeks now. There's a new wave of bigger ones marching across the border. Hopefully they invade the Jewel soon. I can welcome bycatch that actuallys pulls.

Any signs of WSB out there?  There was a two week window I was finding the smaller models, but even they went away.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.