Author Topic: A couple of kayak reports  (Read 2316 times)

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
A couple of kayak reports
« on: June 09, 2020, 07:58:08 AM »
My outings have been getting pretty repetitive. I'd really like to get something trolling a big lure (yellowtail, mako, bonito, cuda, etc), but it hasn't happened yet. I think it will happen soon though with the water temps finally getting into the upper 60's.

A few random notes:
  • Watched my neighbor from a few units down catch a 75-ish lb sevengill from his boat. He has his buddy decided to keep it unfortunately.
  • I had OEX install a rudder on my kayak, but I haven't tried it out yet. It looks like they did a really good job though.
  • My little Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 6500's have both finally bit the dust, so I'm upgrading to Fathom II 12 star drags. Excited to try them out.
  • I met up with Chris last week to look for Makos. We saw a few signs of them, but no one showed interest in our baits or stuck around for long.
  • End of September. Paddle to Catalina, 3 nights of camping, and then paddle back. It's happening. 8)

https://bencantrellfish.blogspot.com/2020/05/first-attempt-trolling-la-jolla.html

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: A couple of kayak reports
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 09:08:28 AM »
First off, some nice sessions and glad you are currently getting out.  On another note, you are paddling out to Catalina?!?!?! 

You are an animal!  Crazy boaters, GWS topwater, and 20 miles?  Are tou leaving from Palos Verdes?  I think that should be the shortest route there.  Unreal!  Sounds awesome.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 10:55:37 AM »
Thanks Tom, I definitely won't complain about the rockfish hauls.

I wonder if there's a good launching/landing spot in Palos Verdes? Cabrillo Beach in San Pedro to Parsons Landing is 22.4 miles. I don't expect to deviate from the route much, but I'm sure it'll end up closer to 25 miles from wind and current. I'll keep a rod ready for pelagics, but it would probably be better if I don't fish. My head will be on a swivel when I cross the shipping lanes that follow the coast. Hopefully once I'm past them the recreational boats will see my high-vis kayak and flag. If a GWS wants to eat me then that's my lot in life.  ;D

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 08:45:04 PM »
Got another post up. That paddle back in the wind was rough.

https://bencantrellfish.blogspot.com/2020/06/the-kayak-trolling-continues.html