Author Topic: NVC 10/20: Still Waiting, but a PB Leo  (Read 2136 times)

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
NVC 10/20: Still Waiting, but a PB Leo
« on: October 21, 2019, 02:13:09 AM »

6pm-11pm. Low tide at 10:15pm.

Leo bit at about 9pm. 50" boyyo (edit: judging by another pic with the tail in view it’s 52”). Caught on chunk mackerel. Was pretty feisty, coming in I thought it might be my first soupy, but I'll take a PB any day. Bait picker-atters present.

Water temp 63º. Moderate kelp. Some wind in the night but not bad. Occasional 4' outside break was pushing my rig down the beach every other cast, even with a 6oz sputnik. Probably need a refresher on advanced casting techniques to get that extra 50'. Soaked bat ray the last hour for no action.

Jeremy
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 03:22:04 PM by jrodda »

vdisney

• Sevengill
    • View Profile
Re: NVC 10/20: Still Waiting, but a PB Leo
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 04:22:41 AM »
Glad to see your still at it Jeremy, the season should be coming soon...........and BTW leos are one of my favorite fish on the long rod   ;D
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 03:56:10 AM by vdisney »
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 05:54:06 AM »
Nice leopard. The others will be along soon.

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 07:33:48 AM »
First off, that's a sweet ass rod/reel you are casting!  Congrats on the PB Leopard.  I'm not sure what is going on here with the Soupies and the Sevengill's.  They seem to be running later as every year goes by! 

I can't wait to start seeing some nice grinners from up there when the bite starts to happen! 
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 01:21:56 PM »
First off, that's a sweet ass rod/reel you are casting!  Congrats on the PB Leopard.  I'm not sure what is going on here with the Soupies and the Sevengill's.  They seem to be running later as every year goes by! 

I can't wait to start seeing some nice grinners from up there when the bite starts to happen!

Thanks! It’s a Penn Carnage ii and an Avet MXJ. I’ve been a little paranoid that I’ll get schooled by an odd white or BSB, most people would probably go next size up with the reel, but I've yet to fret in a fight. The XH rod sure seems to kick a critter’s ass, that’s for sure.

I took a look at that chart you made of all the bigger species that have been caught on the forum and realized A: ray chunks will catch 7s and whites but not soups, and B: it looks like it’s might be too late for soups up here and too early for 7s. Doesn’t stop me from trying though.

I’m just gonna keep going out on Sundays until it pops open. I’ve got a new spot I have a theory about as well, but it may be such a steep beach that it would pose a safety issue while reviving big sharks.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 03:24:43 PM by jrodda »

Pinoyfisher

• Sevengill
  • The tug is the drug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 02:28:43 PM »
You did better than most of us SoCal guys! I love my Carnage II rod, super light and strong!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)