Author Topic: Trident 13 at La Jolla (2019-09-21)  (Read 2907 times)

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
    • Ben Cantrell's fish species blog
Trident 13 at La Jolla (2019-09-21)
« on: October 02, 2019, 08:42:54 PM »
Finally upgraded from that Old Town sit-inside that I've been using since long before I moved to CA.  I went with the Trident 13 in it's most visible color: yellow and red.  Surf launch at La Jolla Shores went well, but like the previous times when I've borrowed someone else's sit-on-top kayak, I timed the sets wrong and took a pretty big wave to the chest.  Not a big deal, but it was a little annoying to start the day off soaked from head to toe.

I wanted quantity over quality so I went with jigging a 2oz iron tipped with squid instead of drifting with a live mackerel.  It was a good strategy - I had pretty steady action and caught a good variety of species.

Not pictured was a chunky treefish that came unhooked as I was reaching for the lure to lift it out of the water.  Need to get a small net.  Mackerel were blowing up on smaller bait all over the place, but none of the other kayakers or boaters were hooking up with anything bigger, so I'm not sure if there was anything feeding on them.

I trolled a Rapala on the way back in, but the only taker was this tiny calico.  Gotta start somewhere!  ;D  I'll be super stoked to get a big yellowtail or (hopefully small) mako or thresher on a trolled Rapala someday.

More reports to come soon!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 06:32:32 AM by BenCantrell »

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Re: Trident 13 at La Jolla (2019-09-21)
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 06:26:20 AM »
Yum Yum Yellow!  Nice new 'Yak Ben.  Great variety of critters also.

I'm looking forward to all of the future reports!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

skrilla

• Leopard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 08:21:36 PM »
Nice variety on the metal. Are the underwater chum boxes, oops I mean commercial lobster traps out yet?  ;D

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 06:24:45 AM »
Nice variety on the metal. Are the underwater chum boxes, oops I mean commercial lobster traps out yet?  ;D

It's a love/hate relationship with those damn things.  Love it for the chum box reasons, but hate when you let your guard down for a second and the current wraps your rig on the lobster line.

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 07:30:29 AM »
Adding this to the report:

miles: 6.76
hours: 5:45

I've been recording my outings with my running watch, so I can have a record of where I paddled. There's no way to add waypoints, but I'll probably want to keep those to myself anyway.  This works well for showing the overall route I took.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 05:44:37 PM by BenCantrell »

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 05:41:41 AM »
Adding this to the report:

miles: 6.76
hours: 5:45

I've been recording my outings with my running watch, so I can have a record of where I paddled. There's no way to add waypoints, but I'll probably want to keep those to myself anyway.  This works well for showing the overall route I took.

That's a good amount of water covered in the yak!

jrodda

• Soupfin
  • your ad here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 10:09:11 PM »
Great variety, sorta surprised to see the sheep and the white fish on the spoon but squid is squid I suppose.

I commend you for doing 6 miles after 10 the day before, I gotta drink some protein and rest up for a couple days just reading this.

BenCantrell

• Leopard
  • catch all the species!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2019, 07:34:26 AM »
I commend you for doing 6 miles after 10 the day before, I gotta drink some protein and rest up for a couple days just reading this.

The 10 miler was a month after this outing.  Back to back days would be rough, haha.