Author Topic: Cabo Surf Fishing Techniques Needed  (Read 19988 times)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
  • Posted for Fame, Poached by Lame
    • View Profile
Cabo Surf Fishing Techniques Needed
« on: July 28, 2014, 06:44:53 AM »
Well, I'm heading down with the family in a few weeks and have my pack rods ready.  The rods are rated MH from 10-20lb and the spinner has 20# braid while the Calcutta 201 has 50# brais.  I also have an array of 3/4 to 1.5 oz spoons, Kastmasters, jerk baits and swim baits. 

Any last minute tips before I leave would be appreciated.  I'm sure I'll get things figured out down there while I'm fishing, but any pointers prior to the trip is always welcome. 

This means you Phong and Nicky!    ::)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

faster u fool

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Cabo Surf Fishing Techniques Needed
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 10:15:06 AM »
Sounds like a good time boss.  It has been years since I've been down that way, but I threw big crocs and fast wind em back.  You can out wind those tropical critters.  The Pacific side has crazy shore break DANGEROUS shore break.  but its good for fishing.  The gulf side is much more mellow and has good fishing.  There is also a cool little tackle shop up in town right next to the Mar De Cortez hotel.  You can rent rods if needed and pick up some tackle and get the lowdown on the bite.  also check out Cabo surf casters on face book.  Where are you staying?
GET OUT AND GET BIT..

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 10:50:39 AM »
Sounds like a good time boss.  It has been years since I've been down that way, but I threw big crocs and fast wind em back.  You can out wind those tropical critters.  The Pacific side has crazy shore break DANGEROUS shore break.  but its good for fishing.  The gulf side is much more mellow and has good fishing.  There is also a cool little tackle shop up in town right next to the Mar De Cortez hotel.  You can rent rods if needed and pick up some tackle and get the lowdown on the bite.  also check out Cabo surf casters on face book.  Where are you staying?

http://www.dreamsresorts.com.mx/los-cabos

Not quite the fishing village, but my wife and kids will be in heaven while I'm out looking for roosters.  As you can tell, I did not pick this place, but I wasn't going to complain.  lol

faster u fool

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 11:23:15 AM »
Looks pretty darn nice...Thats the easy side to fish as far as shore break goes.  and town is a bit of a drive from there.  If you do go into cabo prper, stop by Gardenias for the best fish and shrimp tacos in the world.........http://www.tacosgardenias.com/ tackle shop http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_r6DrFbbe0
GET OUT AND GET BIT..

Donfish

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 01:01:20 AM »
I booked a trip late feb we are going to be at Sandos Finnesterra! Harbor on one side Pacific on the other walking distance from Lovers beach! I fished the beach above the resort 20 some odd years back with Jeff Claussen who at the time was the 'Guy' in cabo to fish the beach with. He was using some bluefish/striper plugs called Rangers a lot and was making his own plugs from wood dowel in pvc material and wiring the hooks in then painting them up for Pargo roosters toro and sierra from the beach.
Leave the rubber at home the triggers kill them... bring some frozen squid if you can to fish strips on leadheads if you want to bang out a bunch of species and singlestrand wire on everything at least a foot of 40-50ish lb and black swivels or rings.

In that area you should get Giant Needlefish Trumpetfish a few croakers asst cabrilla puffers different wrasses grunts and jacks along with scorpionfish and LIZARDFISH!

You should be able to bang out 20 new species easy if you try from the beach and harbor.

I've never really tried doing the shark thing at night from the beach down there but plan on giving it a go this time around.

Hope this helps you out some and I'll dig that DIY Claussen jig out for pics so you can make some if you want. 8)

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 08:51:38 AM »
I booked a trip late feb we are going to be at Sandos Finnesterra! Harbor on one side Pacific on the other walking distance from Lovers beach! I fished the beach above the resort 20 some odd years back with Jeff Claussen who at the time was the 'Guy' in cabo to fish the beach with. He was using some bluefish/striper plugs called Rangers a lot and was making his own plugs from wood dowel in pvc material and wiring the hooks in then painting them up for Pargo roosters toro and sierra from the beach.
Leave the rubber at home the triggers kill them... bring some frozen squid if you can to fish strips on leadheads if you want to bang out a bunch of species and singlestrand wire on everything at least a foot of 40-50ish lb and black swivels or rings.

In that area you should get Giant Needlefish Trumpetfish a few croakers asst cabrilla puffers different wrasses grunts and jacks along with scorpionfish and LIZARDFISH!

You should be able to bang out 20 new species easy if you try from the beach and harbor.

I've never really tried doing the shark thing at night from the beach down there but plan on giving it a go this time around.

Hope this helps you out some and I'll dig that DIY Claussen jig out for pics so you can make some if you want. 8)
Thanks Don.  The two pack rods I have are both MH rated 10-20 (one 7'2" casting and one 7'6" spinning) rated to 1.5 and 2oz lures. I'm using a Calcutta 201B loaded with 50# pp and the spinner has 20# pp. 

I talked to Phong about what he was using when they killed the roosters from the beach a few years ago.  I'm armed with bigger cast masters, spoons, poppers, hard baits and a few plastics just in case.  I also have an array of hooks and egg sinkers in case I want to load up on species.  I do not have any wire, but I will pick some up just in case.

I leave on Monday morning and get back on Saturday, so it should give me ample time to figure the beach out.  Unfortunately, I'll be light on funds, so I may be limited to the beach only, but may get out in a Panga if I get a chance.

Thanks for the intel, Don.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 10:33:05 AM »
Wow. Monday? Nice.

faster u fool

• Mud Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 02:46:50 PM »
I have stayed at the finesterra as well.  but the shore break was about 10' and would shake the ground..lol..We fished with a buddy Black fin Don he has his boat in the first slip next to the launch ramp..
GET OUT AND GET BIT..

Donfish

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 09:55:56 PM »
I have stayed at the finesterra as well.  but the shore break was about 10' and would shake the ground..lol..We fished with a buddy Black fin Don he has his boat in the first slip next to the launch ramp..

You get the timeshare promo deal? $500 /6days 5 nights all inclusive per couple?
Surf was 4-6' when we fished it but the Pargo are crazy and would attack the topwater plugs mid break shooting through the crest!

Tom
I found some pangas online that run $35/hr min 5 hrs that run out of the San Lucas Harbor(up to 3 anglers) and kayaking can be an option but surf is usually up this time of year with all the hurricanes forming up to the south.

Looked for that plug for a min but its not in my normal boxes so I'll have to dig around a bit. We did well during the spring trolling cd 11 and 14 Rapalas wired for sierra toro yellows and of course Needlefish...

Have fun and watchout for 2/1 happyhour specials... order 1 get 2.... :o :o

Latimeria

• Administrator
  • Tax Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 10:25:57 PM »

You get the timeshare promo deal? $500 /6days 5 nights all inclusive per couple?
Surf was 4-6' when we fished it but the Pargo are crazy and would attack the topwater plugs mid break shooting through the crest!

Tom
I found some pangas online that run $35/hr min 5 hrs that run out of the San Lucas Harbor(up to 3 anglers) and kayaking can be an option but surf is usually up this time of year with all the hurricanes forming up to the south.

Looked for that plug for a min but its not in my normal boxes so I'll have to dig around a bit. We did well during the spring trolling cd 11 and 14 Rapalas wired for sierra toro yellows and of course Needlefish...

Have fun and watchout for 2/1 happyhour specials... order 1 get 2.... :o :o

Thanks Don.  I'm going to wing it down there.  Here is the gear I am bringing.

I also have some Crack and Crabs with me in case I do not find any squid around.

sasquatch

• Internet Superstar
  • Global Moderator
  • Sevengill
  • Award Winning Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 04:49:24 AM »
Looks good.

Bob Benner

• Shovelnose
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 04:42:09 AM »
Heres a cool video I watched on youtube a while back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIHVFmdbnKs