The Craft of Fishing Gear > Rod Building

Heat shrink (finished product)

(1/4) > >>

Eric H:
Is it okay to put the X wrap tubing over the cork tape?

Or would it be best to remove the tape first?

What size tubing for a 8ft 30-60 calstar grafighter?

Would i cut the tubing to the exact length of the handle or longer? Not sure if it shrinks in the up and down direction as well?

Blow dryer or flame for the job?

Sorry for all the questions.

Fish Jerk:
I am sure skrilla would know. My extent is using small pieces to afix weights on my rod butts for balancing my light spinners. It will shrink somewhat in length as well as diameter. I use a 2 setting heat gun to shrink it over the cork on the lowest setting. For my purpose, I still need to be careful of duration and distance from the end of the heat gun as it is still hot enough to scorch the cork, but I’m not laying it over the whole cork. In regards to over the cork or stripping the cork, I would think handle diameter would be the deciding factor. If you want a thinner handle than what you currently have, you might need to strip the existing cork off, but still may need to put down a thin layer of cork wrap for an underbody. I believe most xwrap handles still have an under wrap over the actual blank.

Eric H:
Thanks Ron, tryin to gain as much knowledge as i can.

Eric H:
Doing some research here at work.

Shrinks up to 50% in size.

Works on cork , hypalon and cork tape.

Heat gun recommended.

Size chart which i dont understand

Size   Inside Diameter   Wall   Shrunk I.D.   Shrunk Wall
20mm   20mm (0.787")   1.1mm   9mm   2.2mm
25mm   25mm (0.984")   1.1mm   12mm   2.2mm
30mm   30mm (1.181")   1.1mm   14mm   2.2mm
35mm   35mm (1.378")   1.1mm   17mm   2.2mm
40mm   40mm (1.575")   1.1mm   19mm   2.2mm

Fish Jerk:

--- Quote from: Eric H on September 11, 2018, 12:40:19 PM ---Doing some research here at work.

Shrinks up to 50% in size.

Works on cork , hypalon and cork tape.

Heat gun recommended.

Size chart which i dont understand

Size   Inside Diameter   Wall   Shrunk I.D.   Shrunk Wall
20mm   20mm (0.787")   1.1mm   9mm   2.2mm
25mm   25mm (0.984")   1.1mm   12mm   2.2mm
30mm   30mm (1.181")   1.1mm   14mm   2.2mm
35mm   35mm (1.378")   1.1mm   17mm   2.2mm
40mm   40mm (1.575")   1.1mm   19mm   2.2mm

--- End quote ---
Before
The chart is giving you the diameter and thickness of the tubing before and after shrinking. The wall measurement is the thickness( material gets thicker as it shrinks) and I.D. Stands for inside diameter. This of course is measured if it is shrunk without encaseing anything. You want the shrink I.D. To be smaller than the thinnest part of the rod handle to ensure an even tight fit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version